Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 34.28890°N / 117.6458°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 2, 2005
Baldy 9-Peaks July 2, 2005

Did Baldy 9 peaks loop on 7/2/05. Started at Baldy village at 5:30am and walked up to Icehouse canyon parking lot and then up to Icehouse saddle junction. From here, went out & back via Kelly Camp to pick up Ontario & Bighorn. A pair of llamas was grazing at Kelly Camp. After returning to Icehouse Saddle did another out & back to pick up Cucamonga. Left Icehouse Saddle for the last time at 11:45 and crossed the 3Ts (Timber, Telegraph, & Thunder) to get to the Baldy Notch at 2:30. At the Baldy notch, watched the helicopters & SAR help some stranded hiker ~½ way down the ski lifts. Up the Devil’s backbone trail and saw couple of mountain bikers actually ride across the exposed cat-walk area (impressive!). Got up Mt Harwood at 4:00, Mt Baldy at 4:30 and West Baldy ~5:00. Rushed down the Bear Canyon trail to get back to the Village at 7:00 pm.

Total Time; 13.5 hours, estimate total ~31 miles and ~11,000 ft gain/loss.

Had to do a lot of downhill trotting all day to keep the pace up and avoid returning after dark. All the trotting really started to hurt the old tootsies by the end of the day. It sure felt good to soak my feet in the Baldy stream.

Here are some pictures;

http://grahamcracker.myphotoalbum.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=album04&page=1

Comments

No comments posted yet.