Viewing: 1-13 of 13
EricChu

EricChu - Mar 2, 2010 5:43 pm - Voted 10/10

Wow!

This is really a "Gala" trip report here! The photos on this page are absolutely awesome! If I could vote ten times here, I certainly would!
Many cheers,
Eric

PellucidWombat

PellucidWombat - Mar 2, 2010 8:30 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Wow!

Thank you for the compliments! I'm very happy that the photos came out as well as they did, since I left my DSLR at home on both occasions, expecting bad weather.

bragthepeak

bragthepeak - Mar 5, 2010 12:32 am - Hasn't voted

Nice!

Enjoyed the trip report... you guys are animals!

PellucidWombat

PellucidWombat - Mar 5, 2010 3:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice!

Thanks! I'm amazed how well I was feeling at the end of that day, considering I felt out of shape this season and it was nearing my records for elevation gain in a day in summer and broke my max gain in winter, but with softer snow too! Now to plan some fun on the N & E sides soon, and to break out the AT setup . . . :-)

PellucidWombat

PellucidWombat - Mar 5, 2010 3:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Killer Trip Report!

I had no idea rime could take such diverse forms until these last two trips up Shasta.

I've never been one to always bring my DSLR along. I usually weight the likelihood of encountering good subjects/conditions on the outing where it would make the difference over a point and shoot vs. the cons of weight, bulk, and accessibility during the climb. e.g. in wetter weather or harder climbing, I'd pack the DSLR in my pack, making me more likely to not take any photos at all! With the point-and-shoot slung around my neck for immediate use, I can almost always capture a photo at a moment's notice, even in between climbing moves. But bringing both is often too much.

Perhaps I can reduce the cons of the DSLR if I get a reasonable external pouch/case system where it is still immediately accessible, but not slug around my neck and inside my jacket?

Bombchaser

Bombchaser - Mar 6, 2010 12:33 pm - Hasn't voted

Awesome Report

This is an excellent trip report. The photos are very good and a person can get a good description of the route.

rlshattuck

rlshattuck - Mar 6, 2010 2:03 pm - Hasn't voted

summitporn at its best

a little coffee, some oats, and a fine TR to get the day going. Great photos!

Moogie737

Moogie737 - Mar 8, 2010 5:02 pm - Voted 10/10

Beautiful

Excellent descriptions, stunning photographs and hair-raising obstacles made for a grand report. So glad all made it safely down and out. Many thanks.

Flatlander2climb

Flatlander2climb - Mar 9, 2010 2:11 pm - Hasn't voted

gorgeous!

Incredible photos, penciling this one in on the "to do someday" list!

tnorth12 - Mar 11, 2010 1:26 pm - Voted 10/10

Great!

A great post with excellent detail and pictures! I've looked at Shasta for years and need to get out there!

suddendescent

suddendescent - Mar 12, 2010 11:44 am - Voted 10/10

A daring challenge...

In my opinion, despite the fact that this is Californa the challenge seemed noteworthy !

Mind you, we often expect such qualified mountaineers to describe their adventures climbing mountains at the ends of the earth forgetting that closer to civilisation there are amazing challenges to undertake !

In my neck of the woods I can only dream of doing some grass roots exploration in some forgotten wilderness lacking the guts to really tackle the mountains...

Considering the time and effort expended for the symbolic rewards acknowledging the vertigo I tend to suffer from, trying to tackle what is beyond my capacity would amount to insanity even if with time and practice a certain measure of experience follows. Mountain climbing is certainly more critically demanding than lets say learning to get a grips with life in general and the imperative there is to functionally adapt to survive... Now, all I need is some experience writing if I cannot get a degree in literature ! LOL !

Fine inspirational material which can help me in my quest to write something tangible about my forays into the woodlands ! Actually I take reference from such written accounts on Summitpost and MBpost with the hopes of producing something noteworthy at some point in the future...

calebEOC

calebEOC - Mar 12, 2010 9:39 pm - Hasn't voted

One of the best...

Trip reports I have seen on here. Thoroughly enjoyed reading it and looking at the pictures. You've done some wild trips, this was as good as the Gannet Peak TR you posted awhile back.

Schlekeway

Schlekeway - Mar 13, 2010 3:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Had to laugh

Thanks for posting this report.. I had to laugh about where you got turned around on your first attempt. Me and two partners had to bail from the route in that EXACT place (made the same mistakes) a couple of years ago. We traversed down into the upper portions of avalanche gully and finished the climb from there. It felt like climbing the mt 1.5 times with all the descending and then heading back up. I have plans to go back and tackle the ridge again the way you guys did the second time; so this was a good read!!

Nick

Viewing: 1-13 of 13
Return to 'If at First You Don't Succeed . . .' main page