Viewing: 1-10 of 10
Greg Enright

Greg Enright - Sep 23, 2012 11:24 am - Hasn't voted

Glad you made it out

That is a great story. Good work, keeping your cool, trying different things to get out. I guess you had no choice. Going solo across the glacier is a bad idea, but I understand, and would do it myself.

clmbr

clmbr - Sep 23, 2012 2:40 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Glad you made it out

Thank you.

JoelSkok

JoelSkok - Sep 23, 2012 9:15 pm - Voted 10/10

Have you seen Touching the Void?

Or read the book? some parallels there, glad the Lord still has plans for you here on Earth (and out of crevasses) Excellent, 10/10

clmbr

clmbr - Sep 24, 2012 11:12 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Have you seen Touching the Void?

I did read the book when it came out, watched the movie too. I admired this guys for what they were doing. Mine and their incidents have indeed "some parallels there", a few keywords, but the magnitude of the other one was on a different aspect of the scale.

And I believe "the Lord still has plans for [me] here on Earth" and am trying not to irritate him, so he would not change his mind. He's been very gentle by giving me only warnings.

Thank you

John Duffield

John Duffield - Sep 24, 2012 1:04 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice work.

Fact is, $hit happens. You controlled your mind, didn't panic and worked it out. Good for you.

clmbr

clmbr - Sep 24, 2012 1:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice work.

Thank you for putting this accurately.

Diggler

Diggler - Sep 25, 2012 3:42 am - Hasn't voted

Wow

There are far better climbers than you who have perished doing stupid things. The most important thing to take away from this story is that you got LUCKY to have made it out alive. You're no Steve House, Ueli Steck, or Will Gadd (look them up if you don't know who they are). You had enough skills to somehow squirm yourself out of a potentially fatal situation that you easily could have, and SHOULD have, avoided in the first place. That doesn't make you good, that makes you extremely fortunate. If you don't have the sense to realize that, you have A LOT to learn. Those getting into the sport- DO NOT DO WHAT THIS PERSON HAS DONE.

clmbr

clmbr - Sep 25, 2012 2:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Wow

Thank you for your great response. I agree with everything you wrote. The word "Luck" is on my forbidden mountaineering vocabulary list though. "Fortunate" is OK. I know that people (not personally), I don't even try what they do.

snotsteep

snotsteep - Sep 25, 2012 4:56 pm - Voted 10/10

Lucky man....

Wasn't aware that there were those kinds of crevasses on Shasta! Will have to be more careful too....though jumping is never an option for me.

clmbr

clmbr - Sep 25, 2012 7:04 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Lucky man....

There are crevasses on Mt Shasta, mostly on Whitney and Hotlum Glaciers (but not only). Usually some big bergshrands are visible but in the right condition many more crevasses are exposed. Thank you for reading.

Viewing: 1-10 of 10
Return to 'Solo Climber Survives Crevasse Fall on Hotlum Glacier, Mt Shasta' main page