Viewing: 1-2 of 2
cab

cab - Jul 15, 2014 11:55 am - Hasn't voted

Trail

The trail to Red Lake stays on the right (north) side of the main creek channel the entire time as shown on the topo map (it does cross one tributary along the way). If you start on the correct trail, you should be able to follow it all the way to where it ends on the map (a little below Red Lake).

The trail on the topo map that is mostly on the south side of the creek seems to go to Stecker Flat and would not be a good way to get to Red Lake. There are several GPS tracks on the peakbagger.com page for Split Mountain: http://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=2738

As for the Rangers seeming to not care, maybe that's true and maybe it isn't, but they probably don't have the resources to even go up and post some signs for a trail that isn't used very much. IMO, sometimes a faint trail can add to the adventure. Hope you have better luck on your next attempt.

Diesel

Diesel - Jul 15, 2014 12:04 pm - Hasn't voted

Thanks ...

Very much for your comment. On the map I have it shows that the trail crosses the creek one time. I'm probably more mad for the fact that I plan this a lot, invested time & money and did not get to the top, the second time around. I'll try again next year for sure with the hope that the third time is a charm. We'll see. As far as the rangers from Inyo Visitor Center, don't get me going! I meet rangers on trails during my hikes last week and they are great folks. The ones at the IVC upset me every time I step in there.

Thanks for the link. I'm sure it will prove gold on my next attempt.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Split Mountain, no summit' main page