Viewing: 1-20 of 28
12
MtnAv8r

MtnAv8r - Feb 7, 2007 6:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Deja Vu

Wow. Deja Vu. I took that exact same fall line on July 4, 2002 while climbing solo. I let my mind wander, made a bad step on bulletproof ice and next thing I know I was a rag doll in space. My ice axe buried into my right knee, by right crampon somehow found itself into my upper left shoulder, and I smashed my head on a big bullock of ice. But in the end, after more than 300 feet of out of control "Im Gonna Die" experience, and the physical damage noted above, I was able to get myself back to Helen, apply first aid, and limp all the way back to the truck and Burger King for a double whopper. After reading this account by Brian, I now realise how lucky I was, especially since there wasn't anyone around to help me (on July 4th, the place was a ghost town) as only 3 other climbers were on the route that morning. I learned one thing that sticks with me...when you climb solo, you need to have 110% concentration all the time, even on easy slopes...and you have to be willing to pay the piper if you choose the solitude and joy that comes with solo climbing. In the case outlined by Brian, this guy was lucky he was climbing with others and that other people were around. I hope he is doing better and makes a full recovery and will be out in the mountains again soon. Thanks for the report Brian.

Arthur Digbee

Arthur Digbee - Feb 8, 2007 11:35 am - Voted 10/10

great story

Not only quite a story but a well-written report too. Thanks, and I'm glad all ended well.

Mtn.Goat

Mtn.Goat - Feb 8, 2007 12:45 pm - Voted 9/10

good story

Thanks for such a great story. I often head out solo and reading this definitely made me realize how careful you have to be when out alone.

SusanM

SusanM - Feb 8, 2007 12:49 pm - Voted 10/10

Well written

I enjoyed reading of your experience. Thank goodness you were there to assist, and for reiterating the importance of preparation.

zempo

zempo - Feb 8, 2007 1:35 pm - Hasn't voted

electronics and stress

Brian, thanks for the good read. I bet you know your cell phone number now. Guess same goes to operating the GPS.
Makes me wonder how many people are still able to correctly operate all their electronic equipment in an emergency situation. And when I see all the nice buttons on some avalanche gear ...

climbxclimb

climbxclimb - Feb 8, 2007 1:56 pm - Voted 10/10

Very good report

Very well written,
and good job on the assistance to the victim.

blouie

blouie - Feb 8, 2007 2:02 pm - Voted 10/10

Well written

Great trip report

tradmonkey - Feb 8, 2007 3:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Nice

Well done and well written. You did everything "right" for the guy and helped out SAR immensely. I applaude your preparedness, coolness of mind, and eagerness to help. You should be proud...

evolution_star

evolution_star - Feb 8, 2007 6:35 pm - Voted 10/10

Commendable

Its simply amazing as the world become more selfish and the "All about me" attitude becomes more common that are community of outdoor ethusiast are always there for the fellow members. It may not seem like much but i cant recall how many times i've heard stories about how people are left for for dead in the city, and people just stood by and watched.

Kruck

Kruck - Feb 8, 2007 6:53 pm - Voted 10/10

Well Done

Thanks for sharing this. You can tell you took time to compile this narrative based on what you know and can surmise about the situation. Kudos for restraining yourself from wild speculation and hyperbole. Well written.

Pulsar

Pulsar - Feb 8, 2007 8:16 pm - Hasn't voted

Thrilling

You are a natural writer. I really enjoyed reading this one..

Dragger

Dragger - Feb 8, 2007 10:20 pm - Voted 10/10

Thank you...

... you are a talented writer. Thank you for sharing this.

brianhughes

brianhughes - Feb 8, 2007 10:46 pm - Hasn't voted

Thank you ...

I appreciate the kind comments, and I apologize for not responding to you individually. I enjoyed writing this report, and knowing that you enjoyed reading it makes it all the more worthwhile. I have it from an unverified source that the victim was treated and released that same night. I'm trying to follow up, so I can write a "happy ending" to the story. That same source indicates the slide may have been even much longer than the hundreds of feet shown on my diagram, possibly beginning way up to the right of the Heart!!! He was just below the Heart when I first noticed him, but already travelling at a high speed. So, thanks again for the comments, and be safe.

Edit = I inserted a new photo showing the last few hundred feet of the slide, and circled the location where he finally stopped.

davis2001r6 - Feb 9, 2007 3:33 am - Hasn't voted

Wow!

Very well written report. It's great knowing there are people like you on the mountain!

ktnbs

ktnbs - Feb 9, 2007 3:45 am - Hasn't voted

most excellent

story and well documented in a nice, everyman's style. I am going to show it to my adopted boy scout troop that I was trying to explain the dangers of uncontrolled glisading to this past weekend.

AviP - Feb 9, 2007 3:43 pm - Hasn't voted

You must be a writer!

Great story! Hope you make the summit next time.

William Marler

William Marler - Feb 9, 2007 8:07 pm - Voted 10/10

Good read

Thanks for the report. Good read. Glad it worked out.

oluskydiver

oluskydiver - Feb 10, 2007 1:53 am - Hasn't voted

oh man

what a story, very well put together.

Luciano136

Luciano136 - Feb 10, 2007 5:14 am - Voted 10/10

Great TR!

The pic of the helicopter is very familiar! They flew out a person too when I was there July of 2006. That time they landed at 50/50. It wasn't very encouraging as we had to head up the day after.
I also remember cramponing up the slopes below the red banks thinking falling there wouldn't be good in the icy night snow. Even in the afternoon with the snow softening up, it's amazing how much speed you can pick up glissading down!

Hope all is well! Good he actually didn't slide on the steepest part...

CORDILLERAORIENTAL

CORDILLERAORIENTAL - Feb 11, 2007 7:52 pm - Voted 9/10

Great Trip Report

Nicely written......and kudos for helping as much as you did! I'm happy to read that "Vince" recovered. We can never stop learning from our mistakes. Shasta is a beautiful mountain, I was there in May '05.

Viewing: 1-20 of 28
12
Return to 'Winter Rescue on Mt. Shasta' main page