Alaneh Sarband & Sebrar

Alaneh Sarband & Sebrar

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.29638°N / 51.02201°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 12926 ft / 3940 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Click for Introduction to Central Alborz Mountains.

Click to see the Map of the Takhte Soleyman Massif.

NOTES:
1) The 3940 m Alaneh Sarband Peak should not be confused with the 4065 m nearby Alaneh Sar Peak.
2) The elevations of Alaneh Sarband & Sebrar are per my GPS.


Introduction:

Alaneh Sarband and Sebrar are a couple of minor peaks on the ridgeline that forms the southeastern arm of the Takhte Soleyman Massif. From the south, these peaks may appear as just two high points on the crest of a ridgeline but the impressive walls that form the north slopes of these peaks give them much prominence when viewed from the north.

The southeastern arm of the Takhte Soleyman Massif runs in a NW-SE direction and is roughly 15 Km long stretching from the 4256 m Lashgarak the Great Peak to the NW to beyond the 4198 m Zarrin Kooh Peak to the SE. It creates a barrier to the moisture laden air from the nearby Caspian Sea. While the branch of the Chalus River Valley to the north of the ridgeline is covered by Caspian Forests (up to an elevation of 2300 m), the branch of the Shah Rood River (Taleghan) Valley to the south is bare.

Being lower than their nearby peaks, Alaneh Sarband and Sebrar are generally not destinations for mountain climbers by themselves. They are usually climbed by those who like to traverse the southeastern arm of the Takhte Soleyman Massif.

Alaneh Sarband:
3940 m, 12927 ft
36.29493 North, 51.03106 East

From the NWNorthwestern face of Alaneh Sarband

To the south, Alaneh Sarband is connected to the 3975 m Siah Leez Peak and to the west it connects to the 3870 m Sebrar Peak. The northern slopes of Alaneh Sarband create a reddish/brown wall that drops into the slopes that go to the bottom of the branch of Chalus River Valley. From the south, Alaneh Sarband can be easily accessed via the summit of Siah Leez Peak.


RidgelineRidgeline
South Face Alaneh SarbandSouth Face
With Zarrin KoohNorthwestern Face

Sebrar:
3870 m, 12697 ft
36.29638 North, 51.02201 East

Sebrar from NENortheastern face of Sebrar (on the left)

To the east, Sebrar is connected to the 3940 m Alaneh Sarband Peak. To the northwest, it connects to a series of rocky high points that form the sub-peaks of the 4065 m Alaneh Sar Peak. The northern slopes of Sebrar create a reddish/brown wall that drops into a an alpine cirque. A few small lakes created by the melting of snow banks can be seen at the bottom of this cirque.



Sebrar NW FaceNorthwestern Face of Sebrar
LakesLakes to the North of Sebrar
High PointHigh Point
Alaneh Sar PeakAlaneh Sar Peak


Views From the Summits:
LakesLooking NW from the summit of Alaneh Sarband






Chaloon & Alam Kooh from SEAlam Kooh
AbidarAbidar
Khersan, Lashgarak & Alaneh SarKhersan, Lashgarak







Chalus ValleyBranch of Chalus Valley
SebrarSebrar
Ridgeline to Alaneh SarRidgeline to Alaneh Sar



Route:

The starting point for this route is the summit of the 3975 m Siah Leez Peak. Click here to see Route info for Siah Leez.

From the summit of Siah Leez head north down easy slopes to a low point and then up again (no more than 75 m vertical) to the summit of Alaneh Sarband (0.85 Km). To reach Sebrar, follow the ridge-top west down to a saddle and up again to Sebrar (1.8 Km from Siah Leez).

Getting There

Directions to Narian Village

From the western parts of Tehran, Drive the Tehran-Qazvin Freeway 40 Km west to the town of Karaj, continue roughly another 60 Km to a village called Abyek. A little on the west side of Abyek, take the exit to “Ziyaran-Shahrak”. Drive this road 40 Km north to reach Shahrak (or Shahrake Taleghan). This town sits at the bottom of the Taleghan (Shah Rood) River Valley. Continue the road past Shahrak heading east 15 Km to reach the village of Jowestan. Here, right goes to the village of Gateh Deh and left to Narian. Take the left road and drive 8 Km to a split in the road. Left goes to the village of Parachan and right to Narian. Take the right road and cross the bridge then drive a few kilometers up a saddle and then down to reach the village of Narian.

Red Tape

No fees or permits required.

Camping

Anywhere.

External Links

Add External Links text here.