Around Socorro, NM

Around Socorro, NM

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Rock Climbing, Bouldering, Wildlife, Scenery

Socorro Crags

The Socorro Crags climbing area consists of numerous cliffs in Box Canyon and on hillsides south of the canyon. The area offers lots of moderate and difficult routes.
The main area is Socorro Box, a canyon lined with several excellent cliffs including Fillet a Papillon Wall, Red Wall, and North Wall. Topropers enjoy Waterfall Wall, and boulderers find excellent problems on low cliffs along the canyon floor.
The Southern Crags are located about a mile south of the Socorro Box. These crags offer a variety of routes and grades, easy access, and plentiful sun on cool days.

Bosque del Apache

Bosque del Apache, which means "woods of the Apache", was named for the people who often camped in the riverside forest. This refuge straddles the Rio Grande Valley in Socorro county, NM.
Each autumn, tens of thousands of birds, including sandhill cranes, geese and ducks, make the Refuge their winter home. Peak visitation occurs in winter, when cranes, eagles and geese are present. We visited a little bit late, most of the cranes already left.

Comments

No comments posted yet.