AZ's High Country Autumn

AZ's High Country Autumn

Through Autumn's golden gown we used to kick our way; You always loved this time of year. Those fallen leaves lie undisturbed now, 'Cause you're not here. Like the sun through the trees you came to love me, Like a leaf on the breeze you blew away. Justin Hayward (1978) Looking west from Sugarloaf (dome), with Lockett Meadows and the Inner Basin of the San Francisco Peaks (volcano) in the background. Photo credited to the Museum of Northern Arizona (Autumn of 1991) The Mixed Conifer Forest (of northern AZ) is the richest zone in the number of plant species. Dominated by four kinds of trees - Douglas-fir, white fir, limber pine and quaking aspen - this is an open forest with rich, moist soil and cool ground. The large number of trees provides a diversity of forest floor and meadow habitats for shrubs, grasses and wildflowers. Black bears are residents of remote parts of this zone, and mule deer and elk are seen browsing on understory grasses and herbs. That's the east face of AZ's second highest peak, snow-covered Agassiz Peak seen well above tree-line to the far right.
lcarreau
on Aug 12, 2008 11:43 pm
Image Type(s): Alpine Climbing,  Hiking,  Skiing,  Flora,  Informational,  Scenery,  Water
Image ID: 431105

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
yatsek

yatsek - Jan 19, 2009 1:48 pm - Voted 10/10

Beautiful Colors

This is a proof that you don't have to wear red to be a beaut - even in AZ.

lcarreau

lcarreau - Jan 19, 2009 2:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Beautiful Colors

Right again! Red is a colour of passion, but
passion does not exist in all corners of AZ.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2