Bark of mountain trees

Bark of mountain trees

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Flora, Informational

THE BARK IS A DISTINCT FEATURE OF THE TREE AND IS ITS PERMANENT CLOTHES

Fagus (European Beech) ...
Corylus (Hazel) ...
Pseudotsuga (Douglas-Fir)...
Corylus (Hazel) ...
A trunk...
Fagus (European Beech) ...

The bark is a set of outer tissues covering wood (xylem) of the given tree. This complex layer is composed, from the outside to the inside, of: epidermis (during the first years of the tree life), cork, cork cambium, parenchyma cortex and phloem supporting the plant with assimilates. The bark can be smooth, without large fissures, like in beech and hornbeam or distinctly coarse with cracks like in oak or pine. The bark insulates the inner part of the tree from water, fungi and oxygen, however, is some sites of this complex tissue special pores called lenticels are developed. They are of original size and shape and together with characteristic colour and surface of the bark there are provided tools for well determination of the tree species. Such bark image is especially useful during leafless status of the tree (late autumn, winter, early spring) in the temperate climatic zone. In mountains we can often meet such trees like spruce, pine, fir, larch, oak, beech or birch – they have very distinct bark. Others, like willow, ash, maple, sycamore, black and green alder, can also grow in lower sites. Details of the bark can sometimes be very spectacular and changed after infection by fungi or penetration by insects and other animals. The present status of the tree bark tells well on the mountain ecosystems and can improve our efforts to protect them.
This presentation will be continued.........

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Jul 23, 2008 3:47 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice idea

Kind of familiar to me since as I kid I was taught to identify the trees and shrubs by their winter branches. But it is not just the texture and the color of bark, but also the way the branches divide, how the buds look, all this stuff together.

Winter branches are beautiful if only you let your gaze linger on the details!

Romuald Kosina

Romuald Kosina - Jul 24, 2008 9:12 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice idea

Hello!!!
I think that mountains are interesting for us as gross objects as well as the microform.
It is nice to know your activity as a kid :-)
Thanks and the best to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Romek

lcarreau

lcarreau - Jul 27, 2008 8:07 pm - Voted 10/10

I grew up in a city,

but I learned to identify trees by taking Forestry classes in the
Pacific Northwest. I'm finding out that a lot of the tree species and mountains of Europe are similar (related) to those in America.

And yes, gotta love how trees contrast with winter snows!

Romuald Kosina

Romuald Kosina - Jul 30, 2008 8:40 am - Hasn't voted

Re: I grew up in a city,

Hi, Friend!!!
I think that many species have been exchanged between America and Europe. Foresters introduced some of the distant origin to improve viability of local populations. It is nice you found this album as interesting.
Cheers!!!!!!! :-)
Romek

Viewing: 1-4 of 4