Basham Sardi & Jir Asbi Ow

Basham Sardi & Jir Asbi Ow

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.26213°N / 51.38833°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 12910 ft / 3935 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Click for Introduction to Central Alborz Mountains.

Click for Detailed Map of Central Alborz Mountains



Overview of Noor Mountains, a sub-range of Central Alborz Mountains:
SorkhabSorkhab

Labashm PassLabasm Pass
From Near LabashmBasham Sardi

Stretching from the Haraz Valley to the east, to the Chalus Valley to the west, the peaks of the Noor Mountains create a 100 Kilometer long ridgeline that rises to the north of the Noor Valley in the northern portion of the Central Alborz Mountains of northern Iran. The distance between the Noor Mountains and the Caspian Sea is 35-45 Kilometers. The Noor Peaks mark the boundary between the forested mountains to the north and the bare ones to the south. As you move south from the Caspian Coast, you quickly run into heavily forested mountains that have elevations in the 1000 and 2000 meter range. The forests generally continue up to around 2300 m. The Noor Ridgeline contains the first peaks whose elevations exceed 3000 m. The peaks in the eastern ¾ of the ridgeline are between 3200-3587 m high. In the western ¼ the elevations go above 3600 m and culminate in the 4030 m summit of the Veravasht Peak. The Noor Mountains create a formidable barrier to the moisture laden Caspian air. The deep valleys to the north of these peaks lead to the Caspian Sea and are often fog filled.
Azad & Kaman KoohAzad & Kaman Kooh

Basham Sardi Peak Overview (3935 m)
From near the Saddle with Shamzar Peak(L) Basham Sardi 3935 m & (R) Veravasht 4030 m

Summit Basham SardiSummit of Basham Sardi
Basham SardiBasham Sardi

After the 4030 m Veravasht Peak, Basham Sardi is the second highest peak in the Noor Mountains. The distance between its summit and the Caspian Sea is 43 Kilometers. To the northwest, Basham Sardi connects to the Veravasht Peak (via a couple of smaller peaks known as Jir Asbi Ow 3918 m & Usher 3858 m) and to the east, it eventually connects to the 3711 m Shamzar Peak. The northeastern slopes of Basham Sardi are quite steep and create walls in many places. These slopes go down to the upper portions of a forested side valley at around 2000 m. The southern slopes go down to a branch of the Chalus Valley at around 2500 m.

Basham Sardi can be most readily accessed via the 3170 m Labashm Pass on a side road known as the Yoosh-Baladeh Road. From the Labashm Pass, you will hike to a saddle between the Shamzar & Basham Sardi Peaks where you will encounter a rocky area which might require some hand and foot climbing but will not present any technical challenges. You will then hike up steep slopes to the twin summits of Basham Sardi.
From near Saddle with ShamzarBasham & Veravasht

If you are lucky, from the summit of Basham Sardi, you might be able to see the Caspian Sea. The view is, however, likely to be obstructed by clouds or haze. To the south, the high peaks of Azad Kooh and Kholeno Massif (4390 m) will be visible. In clear weather, you will also see the peaks of the Takhte Soleyman Massif (4850 m) to the northwest (due to clouds, we were not able to see the Takhte Soleyman Massif).
Northeastern SideNortheastern slopes of Basham Sardi & Jir Asbi Ow

Views from the summit of Basham Sardi:
PanoKholeno Massif 4387 m & Azad Kooh 4390 m from the summit of Basham Sardi






Veravasht & Jir Asbi OwVeravast & Jir Asbi Ow
Shamzar & OwlajShamzar & Owlaj


Jir Asbi Ow Peak 3918 m
Jir Asbi OwJir Asbi Ow

From Jir Asbi OwFrom Jir Asbi Ow
From Jir Asbi OwFrom Jir Asbi Ow

Jir Asbi Ow is a twin summit peak that rises immediately to the northwest of Basham Sardi and is separated from it by a 3870 m saddle. The northern summit is the higher one. You can see a very distinct notch between the two summits of Jir Asbi Ow. This notch proved to be a shelter from the fierce wind that plagued us on top of these mountains.

Jir Asbi Ow seems to be surrounded by cliffs on almost all sides (except for its link to Basham Sardi). The only way to proceed northwest from Jir Asbi Ow toward Veravasht Peak seems to be to descend the steep scree filled couloir directly below the mentioned notch.
Wall of Jir Asbi OwJir Asbi Ow

Chalus ValleyChalus Valley at dusk from Jir Asbi Ow

Borz Tower 3563 m
On your way to the summit of Basham Sardi, after the saddle with the Shamzar Peak, you will find a rocky tower that is known as Borz. You will have to climb to the top of this tower.





Borz & Basham SardiBorz & Basham Sardi
Borz TowerBorz
Borz TowerBorz


Point 3710 m

This interesting formation rises on the southern slopes of Basham Sardi 200 meters below its summit.





Point 3710 mPoint 3710 m
Point 3710 mPoint 3710 m
Point 3710 mPoint 3710 m


Views of Shamzar (3711 m) & Siah Band (3644 m) Peaks

Shamzar & Siah Band are a couple of jagged peaks that sit to the east of Basham Sardi. You will have good views of them.





Shamzar/Siah Band
Siah Band
Siah Band/Shamzar
Siah Band/Shamzar

Getting There

From downtown Tehran drive the Tehran-Karaj Freeway 40 Km west to the town of Karaj and take the Chalus Road exit. Drive the Chalus Road up the mountains roughly 95 Km past the Kandovan Tunnel (2700 m) to a place known as Poleh Zangooleh (2350 m) where you will see a side road to the right (east). This is known as the Yoosh-Baladeh Road. Follow this road roughly 20 Km east first up to the 2800 m Tarkeh Bashm Pass and then down and up again to the 3170 m Labashm Pass.

Butterfly

Red Tape

This is an environmentally protected area. Permits are required for entering the area. Our permit was obtained by my tour guide (unfortunately I have no phone numbers). It appears that mountain climbers will have no problem obtaining this permit at the department of the environment.

Camping

Anywhere.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.