Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 41.04230°N / 75.3521°W
Additional Information County: Monroe
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 2133 ft / 650 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Camelback Mountain lies within Big Pocono State Park in the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania less than fifteen miles from the Delaware Water Gap. Known mostly for the waterpark and ski resort on the mountain's northern slopes, Camelback Mountain is a giant sticking out above the Pocono Plateau. There are hundreds of vantage points all over the top of this mountain with great vistas towards the Delaware Water Gap and views into three states including New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania. This mountain probably has one of the best distance views in the state of Pennsylvania with The Pinnacle as its best rival.

Wildlife on the summit

Not known as well for its offering to hikers, the mountain has approximately seven miles of trails to offer the summiter with one trail that ascends from the base. Also, many people ascend the mountain via the ski slopes. Other options for reaching the summit of Camelback Mountain include via the auto-road, or ski-lift, which is free with admission to the waterpark. The best trail that this mountain has to offer (in my opinion) is the Indian Trail which makes a 1.3 mile loop from the summit to ledges which stretch around the north, east, and southern shoulders of the mountain. From this trail you can get great views of the Delaware Water Gap. Another awesome advantage of this mountain for those who love wild fruits, is the huge amount of blueberry bushes which cover the upper slopes of this mountain and are in full blossom during the summer months. Nothing tastes better than freshly picked blueberries! Also, if blueberries aren't your cup of tea, there are also wild strawberries and raspberries.

Geologically speaking, Camelback Mountain is the highest peak in the Poconos with an elevation of 2,133 feet. Standing nearly six hundred feet higher than Mt. Minsi and Mt. Tammany less than fifteen miles away as the crow flies, the views from this summit far surpass those of the water gap. The slopes are covered in conglomerate, sandstone, and shale outcroppings along the eastern ledges. The trails on this mountain are very similar to the rest of the trails in "Rocksylvania", very rocky! Make sure you bring your broken in and well padded hiking boots! Camelback Mountain has something to offer for everyone so enjoy this gem of northeastern Pennsylvania.

Getting There

From Harrisburg:
Take Interstate 81-north to just north of Hazleton, PA where it intersects Interstate 80. Take the exit for Interstate 80 east towards the Delaware Water Gap. Take exit 299 for Tannersville and follow the signs to Camelback Mountain.

From New York City:
Take Interstate 80 west towards the Delaware Water Gap. Cross the river into PA and continue west for approximately ten miles. Then take exit 299 for Tannersville and follow the signs to Camelback Mountain.

Entrance to the park is from PA 715 and Exit 299 of I-80 at Tannersville.

CAUTION: Steep grades. Visitors should not attempt this drive in vehicles with trailers in tow. Municipal road maintenance is not provided and seasonal closures of the access roadway will occur.

Red Tape

The summit of the mountain lies within Big Pocono State Park. The summit area is under the jurisdiction of all Pennsylvania State Park rules and regulations. For a list of the rules and regs click on this link.....DCNR RULES AND REGS.

Also, for conservation and obvious reasons, just follow the LEAVE NO TRACE program and you'll be fine. Pack it in and pack it out and be a steward of the wilderness for future generations.

Camping

Add Camping text here.

External Links

Add External Links text here.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.