Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.36970°N / 83.7206°W
Additional Information County: Logan
Additional Information Elevation: 1550 ft / 472 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

NOTE FROM BEARSNACK:

The school at this site is undergoing a major renovation project and there will be significant construction that began in February 2021 and is expected to run through August 2022. The school is open but there are significant changes to parking and traffic flow on campus. Be mindful of construction traffic and avoid work areas. The driveway that extends to the top of the hill is closed due to construction. Expect to park outside of the gates.  Call ahead to get current information about construction and access.

Campbell Hill is the highest point in the State of Ohio. Located not in the more mountainous areas in southeast Ohio, it instead is a highpoint among relatively flat farmland. It is certainly not the most exciting state highpoint to visit, but the town of Bellefontaine still celebrates their status as being at the top of the Buckeye State. There is a Hi Point Church across the road from the Hi Points Vocational School where you will find the hill.

as you can tellThe top of Ohio



Campbell Hill rises 300 feet from the surrounding area, but has such a large width, that the rise in elevation is not evident from any reasonable vantage point.

Campbell Hill is a little under 2 hours drive from Hoosier Hill, the highpoint of Indiana. Both of these high points are flat.

Ohio is generally a flat state. It stands in stark contrast to its Eastern neighbors, Pennsylvania and West Virginia, both of which are rather mountainous. I am not saying that all of Ohio is flat. There are some hills throughout the state. However, the highest hill is unfortunately in a developed town and not in a forest or an area with great hiking trails. Like Indiana, Ohio is part of the Great American Midwest; marked by farmland, rivers, and rolling plains.

See this site for more information on Ohio Geography.

Regardless of its height and location, Ohio's highest point remains a special place, visited by many highpointers and other interested parties, and the town is proud to hold that distinction.

 

Getting There

Campbell Hill is on state maps near Bellefontaine. From Columbus, take HWY 33 to Bellefontaine (about 40 miles away). Exit HWY 33 at the route 540 exit, take a right, and about a 1/2 mile down the road you will find a school on the right side of the road. You get to the parking area after you see the big career center sign, and then turn right into the school campus.

The high point is visible from the road. Find a parking spot at the school and and walk up the hill. The highest point is clearly marked, and there is at the sign at the top of the hill.

 

Red Tape

Campbell Hill is open Monday through Friday 6:30am-10:00pm. It is also open on Saturdays all year round from 6:30am - 3:00pm. Call (937) 599-3010 in advance to make arrangements for access on Sundays (see link page). It is much easier to just go during a Saturday or Weekday during mid-day.  It may be open on Sunday's during the school year.

There are two gates with entry to the property. If the main gate is closed, a small person-only gate is found to the left of the main (drivable) gate. It is open to the public more often than not, regardless if the main gate is closed/ locked. If arriving outside of the "normal" operating hours, climbers should call the school's number, listed above, to verify the person-only gate will still be open.

When To Climb

The highpoint is open all year...See Red Tape

Other Hiking in Ohio

Not Satisfied with just reaching Campbell Hill on your trip to Ohio? Click on these links for more information about hiking in the Buckeye State.

The Buckeye Trail

Other trails in the State

External Links

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-14 of 14
Alpinist

Alpinist - Jul 13, 2007 9:14 am - Voted 9/10

Accessible Hours

Campbell Hill is now open on Saturdays all year round from 7am - 7pm. Call (937) 599-3010 in advance to make arrangements for access on Sundays.

hgrapid

hgrapid - Jul 13, 2007 4:06 pm - Hasn't voted

Thank you

Thanks for the update. Added.

Redwic

Redwic - Jul 7, 2008 12:09 pm - Hasn't voted

There are two gates...

A small person-only gate is found to the left of the main (drivable) gate. It is open to the public more often than not, regardless if the main gate is closed/ locked. If arriving outside of the "normal" operating hours, climbers should call the school's number provided on this website (937-599-3010) in advance, to verify the person-only gate will still be open.

hgrapid

hgrapid - Jul 7, 2008 4:14 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: There are two gates...

How is this different or add to what I already note on the website? Am I missing something in the Red Tape section that would confuse people?

Redwic

Redwic - Jul 7, 2008 8:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: There are two gates...

It's worth mentioning there are actually two gates, one specifically for walk-ins only, so that a highpointer doesn't get upset or worried if the main (drivable) gate is closed. In example, I called in advance of this past weekend. The main gate was supposed to be open on Saturday, but wasn't. Nobody was around. At least when I called/ double-checked in advance, the school just happened to also mention the walk-in only gate. This HP Summitpost page did not reference it, and the walk-in gate is not immediately noticeable. I think the walk-in only gate (to the left of the main gate) should be mentioned, just in case of a situation like what I had (where things were supposed to be a certain way but ended up differently).

hgrapid

hgrapid - Jul 7, 2008 9:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: There are two gates...

Okay, thanks

sm0421

sm0421 - Jan 20, 2011 5:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Time and parking

It's about 86 miles from camp hill to Hoosier, I had a plane to catch and i was driving extremely fast and passing any car i can on country road. I drove almost 80 when i can. It took me an hour and half to get to Hoosier. So i think it should take a regular person about 1 hour 40 minutes to 2 hours, instead of the 'a little over an hour ' on the page. Also the parking area is after you see the big career center sign, turn right into the school campus.

sm0421

sm0421 - Jan 21, 2011 8:52 pm - Hasn't voted

thanks!

hgrapid, Thank you for the updates on the Campbell Hill page, I spent so much time reading this page, thanks for the effort maintaining it for future highpointers... Warm Regards, Alex

Colin

Colin - Jun 21, 2015 10:05 am - Voted 9/10

Current Info

See bmolloy04's trip report for current info as of March 2015. Not greatly different, but useful nonetheless.

Firefly337 - May 16, 2016 1:22 pm - Hasn't voted

Open on a Sunday!

I just visited on Sunday and the gates were open! I was traveling to a number of other high points and made good time so I at the last minute redirected a little to go to the Indiana and Ohio high points. I tried to call but no one picked up (it was already the weekend). Now it is during the school year so that might explain why everything was open but the person gate looks like it hasn't been closed in awhile. So if you're already in the area I say give it a try!

rbirk - Sep 19, 2017 6:07 pm - Hasn't voted

Sunday Opening

I was there last Sunday afternoon (Sep 17) and main gate was open. Sent them an email asking about it in advanced and got this reply: "Campus is open this Sunday from 1-5 p.m. so please feel free to stop by the highest point in Ohio."

peprmintpatti - Sep 12, 2020 6:31 pm - Hasn't voted

Sept 2020

Recently visited the High Point, and a gentleman by the name of Robert, said the gates are open till dusk all week long... he did ask that if you visit the high point to make sure you take your certificate that’s in the sign in drawer and stop in the museum to learn about the 664th AC & W radar squadron that was on the original site....

bearsnack - Aug 11, 2021 7:13 pm - Hasn't voted

Be Aware of Construction

The school at this site is undergoing a major renovation project and there will be significant construction taking place from February 2021 through August 2022. The school is open but there are significant changes to parking and traffic flow on campus. Be mindful of construction traffic and avoid work areas. Accessibility note: The driveway that extends to the top of the hill is closed due to construction. Expect to park outside of the gates. Calling ahead to get current information about construction and access may be a good idea.

hgrapid

hgrapid - Aug 12, 2021 9:14 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Be Aware of Construction

Thanks!

Viewing: 1-14 of 14


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.