Viewing: 1-10 of 10
vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Jun 16, 2007 3:47 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice report

And so sorry that a moment's bad luck cost you a better shot at the summit - especially after all that training. But that's the climbing game isn't it. Hope you'll try again.

Alpinist

Alpinist - Jun 16, 2007 11:50 pm - Voted 10/10

Good decision

Nice trip report. Sorry to hear of your injury, but kudos to you for making the right decision and not putting your team mates in jeopardy by attempting to go higher.

mauri pelto

mauri pelto - Jun 17, 2007 7:48 am - Voted 10/10

Wisdom shown

It is a great report, takes us right there. The injury such a culmination of random small events, like many in the mountains. Your response was perfect, see if it gets better, with time and a bit of use and rest. I hope you relish the wonderful setting you were in. How did the rest of the group fare in the end?

TheBootfitter

TheBootfitter - Jun 28, 2007 12:10 am - Voted 10/10

Nice report!

Life's full of obstacles, eh? I hope you are able to return someday soon. I'm planning a bid in 2008. Maybe see you there!

Alaska Mt Man

Alaska Mt Man - Jun 29, 2007 9:31 pm - Voted 10/10

Great report!

You have a great writing style as I felt I was right there feeling the pain in my own knee! Sorry for the bad luck and I hope you are able to return someday soon.

lingana

lingana - Aug 3, 2007 11:18 am - Hasn't voted

Nice TR

So sorry to see you taking that decision, after gruelling months of training for "the dream". I know, how it feels...I had to return from Elbert (although, it is IN NO WAY, comparable to Denali) in Nov of 05, due to similar reasons.
But, as you said very clearly - climbing IS about coming back to loved ones...right?
Good Luck for the dream. Hopefully, you can go again, and chase it, to the very end !

TJ311

TJ311 - Oct 28, 2007 7:41 pm - Voted 10/10

Well Written

Very interesting trip report. Sorry you had to bow out early but it was a wise choice. The mountain will be there next year. And the year after that...etc.

Lubos

Lubos - Dec 8, 2007 6:44 pm - Voted 10/10

Good report

It is fun to read your report.
I was there in May, did not summit because of weather in high camp.

marlonwarren

marlonwarren - Nov 29, 2008 2:05 am - Voted 10/10

Excellent report!

Sorry about your injury. Great photos.

cheers
marlon

Kiefer

Kiefer - Jan 7, 2009 8:44 am - Hasn't voted

Dam fine read

Rarely does one make the 'right' decision, for as you know very well, a myriad of reasons. That you were able to make the right call regarding your knee and what was in store, is outstanding. Pride is a hard thing to slay. So a big congratulations, ibndalight.
Sorry to hear about the small tragedy but you were able to witness a place that most don't get the chance to see. Good read.
Kiefer

Viewing: 1-10 of 10
Return to 'Denali West Buttress 2007' main page