Viewing: 1-7 of 7
PAROFES

PAROFES - Dec 23, 2013 11:34 am - Voted 10/10

A damn fine

Peace of Historic investigation you put up here my friend.
I never even heard of her until 40 minutes ago, and she did so much, she climbed so much....wow;...
Perfect job, flawless.
All the best
Paulo

markhallam

markhallam - Dec 23, 2013 2:41 pm - Voted 10/10

I'll second that...

This has really come out really well Eric and is a fine memorial to an extraordinary lady. Parofes is quite right.
Very best wishes of the season
Mark

ericvola

ericvola - Dec 23, 2013 4:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Damn fine

Thank you both. I thought I owed something of the kind to Denise whom I first met back in 1961: seeing me soaked through in a Chamonix camping site - I had no tent, just a piece of canvas to protect me from the rain. Those were days when most climbers were broke and as my friend Georges Livanos used to say: "pegs were not sold by the kilo on the Canebière" (the most famous avenue in Marseille going down to the old harbour) - she invited me at her chalet "The Moneybox". 45 years later it was my turn to invite her to come and live in an even smaller chalet, "The Doll" which I fitted for her handicap and which had the advantage to be near a main Chamonix street and easily accessible, unlike "The Moneybox". Unfortunately her stay did not last long enough as she had to spend much time in hospitals which she hated. But I wonder if that kind of story can still interest much the younger generations of climbers. Still she had the spirit of a "warrior" which the best climbers have whatever generation they belong to.

alpineair - Jan 22, 2014 9:21 am - Voted 9/10

Well done!

Really enjoyed reading this. Confirms my belief that it is never too late to have a happy childhood.

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Jan 25, 2014 6:12 pm - Voted 10/10

Thank you for sharing

This great story about an amazing alpinist! Well researched, well written. -Sarah

ericvola

ericvola - Jan 26, 2014 1:51 am - Hasn't voted

Well done and thank you

Glad you enjoyed it. I did not have much to research as Denise was my friend for 45 years and I had to dispose of her personal belongings which she left in the small chalet I let her when she could not live any longer in hers. It is called "the doll" and is a much reduced copy of her "moneybox" so she felt at home. Her memory will always be with me.

Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Feb 7, 2014 3:01 pm - Voted 10/10

Brilliant

Best 45 minutes I'll spend this week. Thanks for sharing.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Denise Escande The Chibania' main page