Dodecatheon (Shooting Stars)

Dodecatheon (Shooting Stars)

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Flora

Shooting Stars

Shooting stars are common wildflowers of North America, where 13 species reside. Most occur in moist meadows or streamsides in the mountains, but some can be found on drier forest slopes and in sage brush that are moist in the spring. They can be easily grown in the native garden. The flowers of all species are pink except for the white shooting star (Dodecatheon dentatum), which is white. Rare albinos of other species do occur however.

The genus name Dodecatheon is from the Greek dodeka, twelve and theos, god, the plant protected by the Greek gods.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-5 of 5
lisae

lisae - Nov 27, 2006 11:05 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice!

In the spring 05 I was hiking in the Pinnacles when I came accross a hillside of shooting stars. They were so pretty and unexpected. I'll go up there this spring (with my camera) and see if they are blooming.

mrh

mrh - May 21, 2007 12:49 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice!

Were they blooming?

lisae

lisae - May 21, 2007 2:49 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Nice!

I don't think there was much of a bloom this year; it has been pretty dry. When I've been hiking in the area where I saw the shooting stars previously, I saw mainly grasses. This was in March & April...just a few flowers...no shooting stars...

Kerstin

Kerstin - May 20, 2007 9:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Beautiful!

Thank you for putting up an album of one of my favorite types of plants. They are so dainty and charming yet so tough.

mrh

mrh - May 21, 2007 12:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Beautiful!

Thanks Kerstin. You seem to have a very interesting yard.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5