Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Scott

Scott - May 7, 2008 11:37 pm - Hasn't voted

More than legend

The legend of the drumming noises is actually genuine and also reported in the nearby House Range as well. I have not heard the noises myself, but family members (much of my family is from Delta and my uncle has talked about them) and other locals have. The rumbling noises have been a mystery for a long time and were even featured on Ripley's Believe it or Not.

There have been many theories, but the most plausible theory in recent times is from geologist who theorize that these mountains are so pocketed with caves and crevices that when sharp changes in barometric pressure occur (such as before or during a front) that air moves under the surface in these mountains and its enough air in all these pockets to cause a rumbling when escaping to the surface.

Dean

Dean - May 7, 2008 11:52 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: More than legend

Thanks for adding that information. It is amazing to me all the interesting stuff that is out in the western desert. Mike Kelsey's book got me intriqued (Jack Watson,etc) and now I find out that a mountain range got its name from the "drum noises". I'd like to add this to the front page as a quote if that is all right with you.

Dean

Scott

Scott - May 8, 2008 12:20 am - Hasn't voted

Re: More than legend

I'd like to add this to the front page as a quote if that is all right with you.

Yes, fine by me.

It is amazing to me all the interesting stuff that is out in the western desert.

Don't forget to visit Desert Mountain, not far from Drum. It's my favorite peak it the immediate area. Very nice.

Dean

Dean - May 8, 2008 7:39 am - Hasn't voted

Re: More than legend

I stopped at Desert Mountain when I made my visit to the Keg Mtn range last november, based on your recommendation. It was early morning and none of my pictures turned out but I agree that it would be worth a return visit. Do you know anything about the "Molen Reef" area of the San Rafael Swell. The town of Molen near Ferron and the Reef were named after an ancestor who helped to settle the area. That is another area I intend to visit but I wondered if you knew anything about that place. ??

imontop

imontop - May 10, 2008 7:13 pm - Hasn't voted

Time

Another great page!

Dennis Poulin

Dennis Poulin - May 11, 2008 6:29 pm - Voted 10/10

Terrific!!

Sir, another great page. I doff my cap at your page submission.

Dean

Dean - May 12, 2008 9:58 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Terrific!!

Your words are kind, thank you. I wish I could figure out how to do a page on the one I visited yesterday, Stevens BM. The register only had three names. Yup, John Vitz, and the dynamic duo from the Simi Valley (4 years earlier).

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Drum Mountain HP (UT)' main page