Dudipat Sar (Lake)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.01699°N / 74.09079°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: Moderate
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Dudipat sar
Dudipat sar

Dudipatsar is a picturesque lake in the Kaghan valley at 3900m. Dudi means white or milky, pat means mountains and sar means lake. The lake is surrounded by peaks clad with snow, reflection of which gives the lake its name. The trail starts at a small village called Besal(3250m) and goes along the Poorbi Naar river(a tributary of the Kunhar river). The trail itself is quite diverse in its flora and fauna. The up and down trail over the green meadows make for a perfect hike with inter crossing streams, wild flowers and grazing cattle from the local villages. The villages on this trail are very close to nature with people living almost entirely off natural resources and quite far from the technological advancement in the other parts of the world.
The description of the trail is from a trip carried out in Summer, 2013 so transportation options and prices are subject to change.

Getting to the Trail Head at Besal


The trail starts at the small village of Besal in the north of Kaghan valley. The journey to Besal is described from Islamabad(Capital city of Pakistan).
Islamabad - Besal route map
Islamabad - Besal route map (Highlighted in green)

  1. Islamabad to Naran(Kaghan valley):
    1. Local Transportation: Buses leave to Mansehra from Pirwadhai bus station in Rawalpindi/Islamabad several times a day.(Time: 3-4 hrs, Cost: 300 rs). From Mansehra bus station(Lari adda in local language) again buses are available to get to Naran(Time: 3-4 hrs, Cost: 300 rs). Probably a direct bus to Naran might also be available from Pirwadhai.
    2. Own car: Good metaled road. Start on Peshawar road towards Peshawar from Islamabad. Turn right from Hasan Abdal to get on Karakoram Highway(N35). Pass through cities of Hairpur and Abottabad and reach Mansehra. Leave Karakoram highway and get on the road towards Naran(Time: 7-8 hrs). Major checkpoints: Hasan Abdal - Haripur - Abottabad - Mansehra - Balakot - Naran
  2. Naran to Besal:
    1. There is no regular transportation between Naran to Besal. 4x4 vehicles are available for hire in Naran city which take about 2 hours to get to Besal. Cost: 2000Rs(also dependent on negotiation skills).
    2. It is possible with own car but not advisable since road although metaled but gets damaged sometimes due to rock fall or land slides during rains.
The trail is visibly behind Besal village and goes along the river coming out of the valley.

Unnamed Image
Green fields along road to Abottabad

Road to Besal
Naran to Besal(Road under construction at one place)

River crossing at Besal
Crossing on Poorbi Narr river infront of Besal

Route Description

Unnamed Image

Total length: 18 km
The trail is pretty straight forward and mostly visible in the grass as a dirt track. It starts behind Besal village and keeps to the right of the Poorbi Naar river mostly. Care is needed to watch out for the small bridge after about 4-5 hours of hike and switch to the left side of the Poorbi Naar. It is a constant up and down hike on a grassy track with some small glacier crossings. It goes through some small shepherd villages. The valley is sometimes narrow and other times very wide. Although it can be followed to the lake in 1 day, it is advisable to camp at Mulla Ki Basti(A small shepherd village) and spend the next day on the lake.

Dudipat trail
The valley is narrower in the start of trail

Dudipatsar Trail
Horses graze in the wide meadows further on


Dudipatsar Meadow
Looking back down the valley from Mulla Ki Basti

Mulla Ki Basti
Mulla Ki Basti: Looking up towards the Dudipat Sar

Mulla Ki Basti Dudipat
Looking up towards Dudipat Sar from Mulla ki Basti

Saral Pass
Looking right from Mulla ki Basit: The snow covered mountain pass in the center climbs down to Kashmir's Neelum valley

Dudipatsar Lake
Dudipat sar lake first look



Dudipat Reverse Look
Looking back from the far side down the valley

Some pictures of fauna around the trail.

Dudipatsar Horse
Horses from local villages

Cows

Resting cows

Golden Marmot
Golden Marmot

Golden Marmot
Golden Marmot

Essential Gear

1. Proper hiking shoes required. This trail is not at all recommended with normal running shoes(joggers).
2. Weather proof clothes e.g. water resistant jacket or a raincoat etc.
3. Although there are a lot of streams along the way but do bring water of your own if uneasy with drinking stream water.

Hiring Guides and Equipments

Guides: A guide can be hired from Naran. Some guide providers can be located in the small market easily.
Tents: Tents can also be hired from the Naran market as well as other equipment like sleeping bags or food items.
Horses: If needed, horses can be hired at Besal village. These horses can be used for carrying a person or excess baggage.