Gerard Hiking Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 41.54170°N / 79.65°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Oil Creek SP


Gerard Hiking trail is a 36 mile loop trail that is located within Oil Creek State Park just north of Oil City PA. It is a large loop trail that runs down the east and west sides of the Oil Creek Valley. There are four connecting trails that allow hikers to plan for varying hiking lengths.
Oil Creek State Park consists of over 7,00 acers of woods, hollows, that surround the Oil Creek Gorge.

Route Description

Shelters


This 36 miles trail encompasses the entire park for North to South. Along the trail you will be rewarded with senice views looking out over the river, waterfalls, and historic sites. The main trail is marked with yellow paint blazes and the connecting loops are marked with white. There are two sites for overnight camping which are both on the northern side of the park. At these two sites ate Adirondack type shelters that are open year round for overnight use. The shelters are located at Wolfkiel on the west side of the valley and Cow Run on the east and you will be required to pay a fee for the use of these sites. Each area has six shelters which can sleep 3-4 people, tent areas, vault restrooms and fireood. Water is supplied on a seasonal basis(not in winter or below freezing temperatures). You are only allowed to stay at each shelter for one night and they are strick about this. The trail is fairly hilly with many ups and downs with elevations that range from 950 to 1650 feet. The trail is marked clearly and often and was in good condition when I was there.

Getting There

From I-80 E or W get off at exit 29 and head North on route 8. 8 conbines with 62 and you stay on this until they split. Stay on 8 North until you pass 227, shortly after you will see the entrance SR 1007 which takes you into the park office.

Essential Gear


Traditional backpacking gear. Nothing special.
Open year round so plan accordingly with the season.

Other Recreational Opportunities


There is a 9.7 miles paved bicycle trail that runs around the river.
The park is also open to hunting, trapping, and tranning of dogs during established seasons. Canoeing and fishing are also attractions on the river. Along with all of these attractions, there is a cross-country ski area.

External Links

www.dcnr.state.pa.us

oil Creek State Park
305 State Park Road
Oil City, PA 16301
814-676-5915
814-677-5082