Viewing: 1-10 of 10
WalksWithBlackflies

WalksWithBlackflies - Sep 6, 2010 10:51 am - Hasn't voted

A couple of boobs...

E-gads... why does it look like I have boobs in the first photo of your album?

mike_lindacher

mike_lindacher - Sep 6, 2010 10:24 pm - Voted 10/10

Another Excellent ADK report

Another good read and documentation. It's nice to see the ADK's and your trip reports on the mainpage! Good stuff.

EastcoastMike

EastcoastMike - Sep 7, 2010 7:58 pm - Voted 10/10

Awesome exploration

in the ADKs, I bet very few people have done what you guys did, nice work!

derekspain

derekspain - Sep 7, 2010 8:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Great adventure

Kevin, it's always great to read about your hikes with the Rico in the Adks. Keep up the great work. See you soon!

iHartMK

iHartMK - Sep 8, 2010 2:08 pm - Voted 10/10

vertical?

maybe it's just the pictures.. but it doesn't even look like those mountains hit vertical... looks like our rolling foothills. damn you Sierra Nevada! why do you have to be so steep?!

WalksWithBlackflies

WalksWithBlackflies - Sep 9, 2010 11:23 am - Hasn't voted

Re: vertical?

Were you expecting we'd just stubmle upon a face like El Cap? :-) I gotta get out to the Sierra Nevada sometime... the list just keeps growing.

iHartMK

iHartMK - Sep 10, 2010 5:56 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: vertical?

I don't know what I expected... but either way, it looks really cool there! I would love to go check out Giant Mountain.

At least we have mountains, right? We could live in Iowa or Kansas..

DTrenkner - Sep 8, 2010 5:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Roaring Brook access?

Is it possible to access the East Face slides by following Trail 111 to Roaring Brook (similar to how you access the Eagle Slides)? I tried this once but it was so slow going up Roaring Brook I gave up before getting near the base. I'm thinking at low flows this time of year it might be doable. Any thoughts?

MudRat

MudRat - Sep 9, 2010 11:03 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Roaring Brook access?

There are a few way to access the East Face, all easier than the report : )
Trail 47 from rte 73 leads along Roaring Brook to the eagle slide. Trail 111 starts from the north at 9N. Here's the confusing part: You'd access the East Face by leaving 111 at high bank and follow the OTHER Roaring Brook to the east face. Gotta love a mountain with 2 drainages named "Roaring Brook" that flow in opposite directions.

You can also whack up the drainage that starts at the Dipper pond (near trail 48). Bushwhack to the col and then down to the East Face. Heck while your there, you might as well climb the Dipper Slide as well! : )

I'd imagine the flow would be very small. I live in the area and most of the rivers / drainages are low. We're getting a little rain now, but nothing substantial. I'd give it a go. Enjoy! I can't wait to get back there sometime.

MudRat

MudRat - Sep 9, 2010 11:05 am - Hasn't voted

Thanks

Thanks to all for the support and posting the nice comments. I appreciate it!

Pastor Derek: We'll see you at church!

Viewing: 1-10 of 10
Return to 'Giant Mountain East Face Slide' main page