Page Type Page Type: Hut/Campground
Location Lat/Lon: 40.54912°N / 105.99021°W
Additional Information County: Jackson
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 9100 ft / 2774 m

Overview

The Grass Creek Yurt sits at an elevation of 9,100 ft in the Colorado State Forest on the western slopes of the Medicine Bow Range in north Central Colorado. It is an area that typically sees abundant snows in winter and relatively few visitors. It’s also a great summer destination that offers many hiking and mountain biking opportunities.
Medicine Bow RangeHauling in the gear

Part of the Never Summer Nordic system of 7 yurts and 2 cabins, the Grass Creek Yurt is one of the easiest of the lot to access. The short journey from the parking area to the yurt makes it an ideal place to take young children.




From the Never Summer Nordic website:
The Grass Creek yurt is locate amidst spectacular mountain scenery in a quiet valley near North Michigan Reservoir and Michigan River.The yurt sleeps five to seven. It’s an easy ski in and gentle terrain for beginners.
Distance from TH
Summer:  0.3 miles         
Winter: 0.75 miles 120 ft gain

How to get there

Colorado State Forest MapFrom the Colorado State Forest website
From Fort Collins, take Colo Hwy 14 west for 75 miles, across Cameron Pass until you reach Jackson Co Rd 41 (by the North Park KOA Campground), turn right onto JCR 41.
From Denver, take I-70 west approx. 29 miles to US 40. Stay on US 40 for approx. 49 miles to Colorado 125, turn right and proceed north approx. 54 miles to the town of Walden. From Walden proceed east on Colorado 14, approx. 19 miles to the North Park KOA, turn left onto JCR 41.
From there:
For winter access, proceed approx. 3 miles to the end of the paved rd at the east end of North Michigan Reservoir.
For summer access, proceed approx. 1 mile to the Grass Creek Rd. Turn right and follow the road for 2 miles, past the North Michigan Res. Campground to the yurt parking area.

What is a Yurt?

Just happy to be thereJust happy to be there


From Wikipedia:
The Grass Creek YurtGrass Creek Yurt with Medicine Bow Range behind

A traditional yurt is a portable, felt or skin-covered, circular wood lattice-framed dwelling structure used by nomads in the steppes of Central Asia.
In the US and Canada todays yurts are made using hi-tech materials. They are highly engineered and built for extreme weather conditions. In addition, erecting one can usually take days and unlike the originals, they are not intended to be moved. Often the designs of these North American yurts barely resemble the originals; they are better named yurt derivations.
In layman’s terms,Yurts are basically large, round tents with vertical walls, a conical roof, all built on a wooden deck.
The Never Summer Yurts and Cabins are reservable up to a year in advance.
For reservations and info:Never Summer Nordic

Amenities

North Michigan ReservoirMedicine Bow Range over N Michigan Res.
From Never Summer Nordic:

Each yurt or hut offers:
•A woodstove (very basic)
•Beds (2 bunkbeds)
•Cooking facilities with a propane cook stove, pots, pans, dishes, and silverware
•A lantern
•An outhouse
•A picnic table (inside)

Other yurts and cabins in the State Forest

From Never Summer Nordic:

The Ruby Jewel Yurt is nestled in a dense lodgepole forest near the Ruby Jewel Lake trailhead and sleeps five to seven.  Unlimited access to high alpine bowls and exciting ridges tempt the more skillful skiers.
Distance from TH
Summer:  4wd or 1.8 miles    
Winter:  1.8 miles 670 ft gain

Clark Peak Yurt sleeps 9-12 and is located halfway to Ruby Jewel Lake and sits in a small clearing with a mountain stream nearby and the south ridge of Clark Peak in view.
Great access to high alpine bowls and ridges.
from TH
Summer:  2wd or 2.0 miles    
Winter:  2.0 miles 670 ft gain

The North Fork Canadian Yurt, featuring unsurpassed views of the Never Summer Mountains, is an ideal base camp for outdoor adventures. North Fork Canadian sleeps up to seven people.
from TH
Summer:  1.1 miles    
Winter:  1.1 miles 100 ft gain

Dancing Moose Yurt, An impressive view of Clark Peak with Bull Mountain to explore as your backyard.  A short ski in.  Sleeps nine to 12.
from TH
Summer:  Drive in access           
Winter:  .25 miles

The two Montgomery Pass Yurts are located halfway up the west side of Montgomery Pass. The yurts share a large clearing but are separated by a strand of trees. Both yurts sleep five to seven.
from TH
Summer: 4wd or 1.1 miles
Winter: 2.8 miles 620 ft gain

The Lower Montgomery Pass Yurt features breathtaking views of Diamond Peak, Nokhu Crags, Mt. Richthofen and Seven Utes.
Upper Montgomery Pass Yurt features beautiful views of the Zirkels and the Medicine Bows, recommended for intermediate and advanced skiers.


The Nokhu Hut is located along the Lake Agnes access road with great views of the Nokhu Crags Mt. Richthofen and Mt. Mahler. The hut sleeps six to eight.
from TH 
Summer:  2wd access    
Winter:  1.7 miles 540 ft gain

Agnes Creek Cabin is located along the Lake Agnes access road with great views of Diamond Peak.  Sleeps six to eight.
from TH
Summer:  2wd access   
Winter:  1.7 miles 540 ft gain

Yurt and Hut Fees
Seven yurts and two huts range from $60 – $110 per night. 
For questions, availability and reservations visit www.neversummernordic.com or call (970) 723-4070.

Note:Pets are not allowed at the yurts or cabins.



**Update**

Three new yurts have been added for the 2008/2009 winter season. They feature drive-up access, and appear to be less "rustic" than the originals.
Dogs are allowed at these three. Check out this link: North Park Yurts for more detail.