How To Leave SP

How To Leave SP

Page Type Page Type: Article

Drama Majors Only

Over the years that I have been a member here, I've seen many departures, some more memorable than others, and it has led me to conclude that if you decide to leave SP, you should do so in style instead of going quietly, which is no fun for anyone and virtually assures that you will soon be forgotten.
 
Hopefully, this article will provide some useful tips for how to make your exit from SP one for the memories!
 
Was someone mean to you in the forum? Did somebody insult your beliefs? Are there too many pictures of flowers and cats? Too many hiking pages? Not enough serious climbers? Well, it's time to burn the house down!
 
There are two essential components to a good public breakup with SP: flaming in the forum and deleting your material. Let's examine the two in more detail.

 

Flaming the Forum

In Site Feedback, start a thread with a long, angry condemnation of SP, using plenty of bold and caps. For maximum effect, do all or most of the following:
 
  • With as much hyperbole as you can muster, tell us your problem and why it merits becoming a public spectacle.
  • Point out how much better the site used to be back in the day, whenever that was for you.
  • Predict the site's demise and try to give an estimated date for it.
  • Bash the moderators. If you're the type who likes throwing dirt in the forums, you'll probably want to take the position that the moderators are too heavy-handed and are squelching free speech. If you're the type who is easily offended, you'll want to allege that the moderators don't enforce the rules and that the site has gone to the trolls and other uncivil characters.
  • Don't forget to attack the people you don't like. This is your chance to really show the world who those people are.
  • For good measure, bring up past members and equate their reasons for leaving the site with yours. Inform us that they would be mortified to see what the site has become. This form of name-dropping lends you moral authority.
  • Hang around for at least a few days so that you can make retorts against anyone who responds unfavorably to your post. After all, it's no fun when the person announcing he is quitting actually quits and goes away.

 

Internet Drama

Deleting Material

Doing this is probably more gratifying if you're reeling drunk or high on religious fervor, but you must, in one constant rage, gleefully, actually maniacally, delete everything you've ever submitted just to punish the rest of us. What might have collectively amounted to days or weeks or even months of effort on your part, you can wipe out in seconds. Awesome! And you get the satisfaction of having taught the whole world a lesson as well! Because no one else will ever find a way up that mountain now!
 
New formatting on SP now keeps you from deleting something if someone else has signed the climber's log, but never fear, for I will tell you how to prevail in your epic-worthy fight: all you need to do is go to the page editor and delete all the content. The page will stay, the logs will stay, and attachments will stay, but your priceless words will be gone and the whole world will suffer.
 
Next step: if you haven't done so already, go to the forum and announce that you have deleted all your material. Make a sanctimonious speech that will get lots of thanks from people who share your worldview. Ignore the fact that people who actually know you and know when and why you went off the deep end are staying silent for the sake of your dignity.
 
Butthurt

Final Step

You have to come back. Almost everyone does. Announce your error, ask to get your stuff back, whatever. But accept that you have forever squandered any right to be taken seriously after creating the kind of teen-queen drama most people deride.
 
Above all else, create drama. Since your life apparently lacks excitement, you can always manufacture it here!
 
Or you can just fill out this form and submit it:
 
Butthurt Form


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-20 of 26
12
MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Nov 23, 2014 11:09 am - Voted 10/10

Awesome Beta!

Your beta is spot on! Having seen a number of said departures over the past 6 years, I believe you nailed every critical step on the proposed route. And those that have left, and followed your beta (that you have obviously been keeping secret til' now) have given us the gift of some very entertaining reading material.

Yes, those that leave via the forum route make for much, much more entertainment than those that go quietly. Thanks for the Sunday morning chuckle. LMAO!!! Sounds like another has decided to "take my ball and go home", which is the sad part.

Bill Reed

Bill Reed - Nov 23, 2014 1:08 pm - Voted 10/10

OK, OK..........

That sounds like a lot of work-I'll stay

shanahan96

shanahan96 - Nov 23, 2014 5:16 pm - Hasn't voted

why quit when....

any chance the elves could handout old screen names, of the real crazies, for christmas? we could go off on random people and have a great time without ruining our own reputation!

jamie

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Nov 23, 2014 6:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: why quit when....

Holy crap, would that be loads of fun. Awesome idea!

brichardsson

brichardsson - Nov 23, 2014 9:20 pm - Voted 10/10

nice, but...

...the pic should say "SP points. Serious business."

Josh Lewis

Josh Lewis - Nov 26, 2014 10:51 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: nice, but...

More like "SP Point-less: Serious Business". ;-)

Noondueler

Noondueler - Nov 23, 2014 10:14 pm - Voted 10/10

How to enter SP

Put up incomplete pages ignoring the format.
Copy and edit others images
Putting up pages on major ranges that have long since been covered on SP.
The Dueler did all this before even bothering to get familiar with the site!
Always best to learn the faqs man.

jacobsmith

jacobsmith - Nov 24, 2014 8:14 pm - Voted 10/10

fading quietly?

As someone who is basically taking the "fading quietly path" this article is making me reconsider my life choices.
I obviously need to be creating more drama on the internet, expect a bitter, self-righteous forum post any day now.

Matt Lemke

Matt Lemke - Nov 24, 2014 8:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: fading quietly?

LOL I can't wait to see it!

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Nov 24, 2014 9:09 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: fading quietly?

Please do! If I can help spur it, let me know. Do not go gentle into that good night! ;-)

Klenke

Klenke - Nov 24, 2014 11:43 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: fading quietly?

I always thought your articles sucked, Jacob. Is that enough for you to go postal?

jacobsmith

jacobsmith - Dec 7, 2014 12:26 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: fading quietly?

There's really no need for this to be a big fight, it's just, well, I've met someone else. Her name is mountainproject.com, and we're really happy together. She always has something new and interesting going on, and she knows all the coolest climbers (and by that I mean actual climbers [burrrrrn]). And you know that thing you do, where you say you're a climber but all you ever do is go hiking, and how you care way more about how many photos people have on their pages then about the actual subject of the page, and how it's this huge ego thing how people vote... I just think me and her have a lot more in common. Anyhow, it looks like you've got some cool new people you're hanging out with, but be careful of that one dumpster-diver clanky guy, I've heard he's kind of a dick.

Deltaoperator17

Deltaoperator17 - Nov 25, 2014 7:08 pm - Voted 10/10

Butthurt...

Now that's some funny stuff right there Mr. Siler!

Mike Lewis

Mike Lewis - Nov 26, 2014 2:57 am - Voted 10/10

The last check box...

is the voice of reason. But where's the fun in that?

Should people use the form when they get butthurt over honest votes or opinions on pages? Like 7/10's or comments like "It's okay I guess. Could use some revisions on points A, B and C."

This could be a useful tool and prove very entertaining.

I feel like I'm rediscovering Summitpost!

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Nov 28, 2014 10:51 am - Voted 10/10

your best work

I miss a lot of the drama nowadays. It's comforting to know it still goes on.

EricChu

EricChu - Nov 28, 2014 12:26 pm - Voted 10/10

Bravo, Bob!

You wrote a very good satirical article that does bring certain things to the point! I've also witnessed these sudden, theatrical departures from SP, together with deletion of all one's material (Oof - the work that would take me by now, to delete everything I've ever posted??? People must have a REALLY good reason for it, if they decide to do so - unless the bulk uploader on Windows - I have a Mac - has a brother, the bulk deleter...), and have always asked myself: Why do they take it all soooooo deeeeadly peeeeersonally? If I were annoyed - which I never have been so far - I'd just simply stop being active, that's all. Either people forget that SP is not some sort of a secret clan in which we all compete against each other, secluded in some sort of a private and restricted area, shunned off from the rest of the world, but a source of information that is for everybody on the internet, members and non-members, or, maybe, posted material has been hacked and used without authorization (that could be a good reason for wanting to withdraw all one's material). I don't know which. In any case, trying to punish the whole world for some daft remark that this or that SP member made in the forums, I mean, come on, this is just plain kindergarten. And to at least some of those who left in this way, I've got to say that this does not go in accordance with the oftentimes really high level of what they have contributed here.

gimpilator

gimpilator - Nov 29, 2014 1:04 pm - Voted 10/10

Bravo

This article eloquently embodies a number of my opinions about immature members who have attempted to damage the site. I only wish I could watch their face turning red as their blood pressure rises in that moment when they realize it was written about them. Two thumbs up!

Stefan - Dec 1, 2014 5:38 am - Voted 8/10

No back-end structure

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=711505

Simple MOD could easily help with this but no power for users like that on here ;-)

Diesel

Diesel - Dec 1, 2014 8:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Hilarious

I like to sprinkle sarcasm in my posts but this is downright hilarious. Congrats on a good fun piece. It must've started with a bit of frustration for the writer but boy, it ended in lots of laughs for myself.

blackhawk

blackhawk - Dec 4, 2014 6:48 am - Hasn't voted

awesome

I don't post here much,but I've been using sp since the earlier days(the last ten years)...the whole deleting material thing reminds me of the Aaron Johnson saga...there's still ripple effects and stuff lost and missing on the Colorado pages when he deleted all his stuff....who all remembers that saga? Ah...the good ole days when sp was awesome...now its pretty lame. Lol

Viewing: 1-20 of 26
12