Island Lake Trailhead

Page Type Page Type: Trailhead
Location Lat/Lon: 40.60572°N / 115.3757°W
Additional Information County: Elko
Additional Information Elevation: 8800 ft / 2682 m

Overview



Island Lake Trail on slopeIsland Lake Trail.


The Island Lake Trail is located in Lamoille Canyon in the Ruby Mountains of northeastern Nevada. The trail is 1.9 miles each way with a net elevation gain of 940 feet and terminates at Island Lake at just over 9,700 feet in elevation. Island Lake supports a small population of Brook trout. This is an easy route that includes 10 switchbacks, resulting in an easy to moderate grade of ascent and descent. This route is scenic from start to finish, offering spectacular views down into Lamoille Canyon, of the surrounding mountains, streams, and an amazing summertime wildflower display.
Island Lake drainageIsland Lake drainage stream.

Getting There

From Elko, take SR 227 south 18 miles to the Lamoille Canyon Road (Lamoille Canyon Scenic Byway). After about two miles on SR 227, you will go through the Lamoille Pass and see the Ruby Mountains. The 12-mile paved byway leads deep into the Rubies and terminates at a parking lot at 8,800 ft. elevation. The trailhead is located near the north end of the parking lot by the entrance. Ruby Crest Trailhead is located past the south end of the parking area.

Camping

Developed campgrounds are available in the area. Please see the External Links section for additional information and fees. Primitive camping is permitted anywhere along the Island Lake Trail at no fee. Campsites must be at least 100 feet from the lake.

GPS Coordinates

Waypoint Elevation Latitude Longitude
Island Lake Trailhead ~8,780' 40.60572 N 115.37570 W
Foot Bridge - 40.61654 N 115.37695 W
Island Lake ~9,720' 40.61504 N 115.38020 W

Red Tape

For fees and other regulations, see the references in the External Links section below. USFS regulations apply. Firearms may be carried (open carry only and not concealed) in a holster.

Food & Lodging

There are a number of hotels in nearby Elko. I think the best deal in town is at the Stockmen’s Hotel and Casino. As of July 2007, a room with two twin beds went for $39.50. The rooms have AC, refrigerator, bathtub, hairdryer and many have a balcony. The hotel has a nice swimming pool and food is available 24/7 in the casino’s restaurant located right next to the hotel lobby. The Stockmen’s is located at 340 Commercial Street in Elko; 775-738-5141. The Commercial Casino (775-738-3181) is right across the street from the Stockmen’s and their restaurant (the Brand Room) has a great dinner buffet Tuesday through Saturday, 5 pm-10 pm.

Phone Numbers

Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest: 775-331-6444

Ruby Mountains Ranger District: 775-752-3357

Elko County Sheriff Dispatcher: 775-738-3421

Fire Dispatcher (to report wildfires): 775-738-5137

Nevada Division of Wildlife: 775-738-5332

Nevada Highway Patrol: 775-738-8035

External Links

Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest - Ruby Mountains Ranger District

Ruby Mountains Campgrounds and Trailheads


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Ruby MountainsTrailheads