Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Matt Lemke

Matt Lemke - Mar 26, 2014 1:36 am - Voted 10/10

Thanks!

I love reading these kind of TR's. I would have never heard of this place was it not for your page about it! That crux section with the big cobbles was kinda scary!

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Mar 26, 2014 3:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Thanks!

Imagine the fun when I took my kids up it a few years ago: http://www.summitpost.org/dad-tries-to-kill-us-on-manly-beacon/769575

Arthur Digbee

Arthur Digbee - Mar 29, 2014 7:26 pm - Voted 10/10

Wonderful story

Thanks for sharing

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Mar 31, 2014 9:36 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Wonderful story

Thanks, Arthur-- nice to hear from you.

colinr

colinr - Mar 30, 2014 6:09 pm - Voted 10/10

I can relate!

I have considered tackling Manly Beacon, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I have done lots of interesting scrambles in the Golden Canyon/Red Cathedral area and elsewhere in DVNP, some with my kids. With them along, I have had a few nervous moments on exposed scrambling routes. An unexpected feeling of need for rules, hand holding, carrying, and strong words of caution came into play the first time they ventured off the benign, beaten paths (sometimes just feet away). I've observed that the spicier routes are irrestible to many kids (of all ages) there. Indeed, onlookers often can't stand to watch, especially moms, dads, and grandparents.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Apr 1, 2014 3:00 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: I can relate!

Sean, I can relate to that as well. A couple years ago, I took two of my kids up Manly Beacon-- http://www.summitpost.org/dad-tries-to-kill-us-on-manly-beacon/769575

When we got to the summit, we were able to look down into Golden Canyon and to my wife and my parents below. My mother was terrified.

Those same two kids are getting more and more into climbing as opposed to hiking. The oldest especially finds trails boring, but when we leave the trail and head off on some scrambling route, he comes to life.

It bodes well for the future. I can't wait until they can belay! Finally, a use for kids other than getting out of social engagements you don't want to attend!

colinr

colinr - Apr 1, 2014 9:49 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: I can relate!

Ha! I read both reports back to back and my response above was intended for the trip with your kids. I think I read at least one of your other recent reports as well. Fortunately, my experiences traveling and hiking in the west began in elementary school, but, similar to you I have always loved maps. My best wilderness adventures have come after meeting my wife, whose family frequents Yosemite and lives near SEKI. My tendency to travel far from my vehicle and off popular trails developed soon after. That tendency has helped make DVNP a place worth visiting many times over after missing out on its beauty prior to five years ago. My kids taking after me there is enjoyable in many ways, but unnerving at times. Anyway, I'd say scrambling above Golden Canyon on one of my first hikes there is a large part of what began the inspiration for return trips.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Manly Beacon-- Back to Where It All Began' main page