Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 14.19050°N / 86.87851°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 5102 ft / 1555 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

La Tigra National Park from Mt. Carmelo

Monte Carmelo is just one of hundreds of peaks within the beautiful country of Honduras. Located north of the capital city of Tegucigalpa, this peak is most easily reached via a children's camp bearing the same name as the mountain. Most of the peaks in this region have footpaths or "el sendero" to the top. The view from the summit is mostly through the trees, accept to the north. Unfortunately though, it's very humid for much of the year so the views are limited. The drive from the capital through these mountains is absolutely awe inspiring. The city of Tegucigalpa is at about 1,000m and the surrounding peaks in La Tigra National Park reach as high as 2,500 meters.

The landscape is absolutely stunning. As are most of the peaks in Honduras, this mountain is extremely steep but has vegetation all the way to the summit. Ecologically, Honduras is most well known for its "cloud forests," which are high altitude rainforests. From avocado trees, to banana trees, to the huge cedars that fill the forest, there is an abundance of many brilliant types of plant life. The abundance of cedar is actually the reason for all the beautiful carvings that the country is also famous for. There are also many different types of animals that roam the forest, from monkeys to cougars.

Getting There

From Tegucigalpa:
Head northwest towards Flores/Zambrano/Amarateca for approximately 10 miles to the top of a pass overlooking the city of Tegucigalpa. Follow the ridge top for another mile until you reach the turnoff on the left for Monte Carmelo. There are a number of access points from this road.

Red Tape

Boundaries on these mountains are marked by barb-wire fences. If you find yourself approaching one, it means you're probably going the wrong way.
Add Camping text here.

External Links

Add External Links text here.