Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 34.75250°N / 98.5617°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Nov 22, 2020
Activities Activities: Hiking

Overview

The 2175 ft Mount Wall rises in Oklahoma’s Wichita Mountains National Wildlife Refuge. No trail goes to its summit. I had planned a loop hike that would have taken me to the top of Mount Wall in addition to seven other nearby high points. The day that I went to do my hike, however tuned out to be a rainy day with clouds blocking most to all views from the top. Impenetrable growths of bushes slowed down my progress. In the end, I was able to reach the summit of Mount Wall plus three other high points.

 

 

Trip Report

 

Hiking Distance: 5.75 miles

High Points Reached: Point 1751 ft, Point 1745 ft, Point 2015 ft and Mount Wall 2175 ft

 

On the day before this hike, my wife and I had left our home in Janesville, Wisconsin and driven to Joplin, Missouri where we had spent the night. The next day, we left Joplin and made it to the starting point of this hike near Medicine Park, Oklahoma (900 miles from Janesville) where we stayed for a 5 day hiking trip,

 

Started my hike at 11:35 a.m. It was cloudy and drizzled at times. Found a beaten path on the grassy plain going northeast. My first goal was to reach the top of Point 1751 ft which sat to the north of where I was. Followed the path for a while, then left it and began to find my own way toward Point 1751 ft which rose 200 vertical feet above me.

Point 1751 ft
Point 1751 ft

The 2015 ft Quetone Point to the northeast.

Quetone Point 2015 ft
Quetone Point 2015 ft

 

Up the slopes of Point 1751 ft.

 

Up the slopes of Point 1751 ft
Up the slopes of Point 1751 ft

 

Looking south from the top of Point 1751 ft.

 

Looking south from Point 1751 ft
Looking south from Point 1751 ft

 

Headed northwest down to a 1605 ft forested area.

 

Down into trees
Down into trees
Forest
Forest
Forest
Forest

And made it to the top of Point 1745 ft. Looking back at Point 1751 ft.

 

Point 1751 ft from Point 1745 ft
Point 1751 ft from Point 1745 ft

 

The next goal was Point 2015 ft. Mount Wall’s summit was lost in the fog behind Point 2015 ft.

 

Point 2015 ft, Mt wall lost in clouds
Point 2015 ft, Mt wall lost in clouds

 

Headed north down to 1615 ft elevation where there was a small lake.

 

Point 2015 ft from lake
Point 2015 ft from lake

 

I was then going northeast up the slopes of Point 2015 ft.

 

Up the slopes of Point 2015 ft
Up the slopes of Point 2015 ft

 

Looking south from the top of Point 2015 ft.

 

Looking Southeast from Point 2015 ft
Looking Southeast from Point 2015 ft

 

I headed north down toward a 1850 ft saddle but ran into impenetrable growth of bushes. In one place I pushed a branch away but it snapped back hitting me on the lower lip so hard that for a second I thought I was going to pass out. My lip remained numb for 30 minutes. Took me 40 minutes to find a path through the bushes and was finally walking up the slopes of Mount Wall but from then on, was worried about running into bushes again. I only had 2 hours of day light left.

 

Up the slopes of Mount Wall
Up the slopes of Mount Wall

 

Looking southeast from near the top of Mount Wall.

 

From near the top of Mount wall
From near the top of Mount wall

 

Mount wall creates a long ridgeline giving rise to two different summits. I was heading east along the ridgetop when the ridgetop became rocky. At that point my goal was to complete a loop hike without running into bushes or other obstacles before dark so I decided to traverse the slopes below the rocky crest of the ridgetop where the true summit was.

 

Traversing the ridgeline of Mount Wall
Traversing the ridgeline of Mount Wall

 

Down to a saddle and then to the east summit of Mount Wall.

 

From east summit of Mount wall
From east summit of Mount wall
Point 2015 ft and 1751 ft
Point 2015 ft and 1751 ft

 

Reaching the top of the next high point (Point 2068 ft) seemed to require a major bushwhack. I decided to give up my goal of reaching the other high points and began to go directly down the slopes into a valley.

 

Quetone Point
Quetone Point

 

Zoomed view of a herd of Elk.

 

Elk
Elk

 

Reached a boulder field.

 

Boulder field
Boulder field

 

Looking back at the east summit of Mount Wall.

 

Mount Wall
Mount Wall

 

Was still worried about reaching impenetrable bushes but fortunately I could always find a path over open grassy area.

 

Quetone Point
Quetone Point
Looking toward Mt. Sherman
Looking toward Mt. Sherman
Grassland
Grassland

 

Went up a slope and made it down to the grassy plain again going back toward the starting point. Clouds were lifting and Mt. Scott was coming into view.

Quetone Point and Mount Scott
Quetone Point and Mount Scott
Quetone Point and Mount Scott
Quetone Point and Mount Scott

Reached the starting point at 3:50 p.m.

 

Mt. Roosevelt and Mt. Sheridan
Mt. Roosevelt and Mt. Sheridan

 

 

 

 

 

 



Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-3 of 3
mvs

mvs - Jun 5, 2021 10:01 am - Voted 10/10

awesome

Really cool to see mountains in Oklahoma. I've got family there, and next time I visit I'll try to do this tour.

nader

nader - Jun 5, 2021 11:16 am - Hasn't voted

Re: awesome

Nothing like the mountains in your pictures but Oklahoma Mountains sure do exist. Glad you like my page.

mvs

mvs - Jun 5, 2021 11:34 am - Voted 10/10

Re: awesome

Real adventure is in the heart. I became a bit of a captive to those "stunning" vistas. Now I'm sweeping up the beauty found in quiet, humble forests. We're really surrounded by wealth. Have a great Saturday night!

Viewing: 1-3 of 3


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Wichita MountainsTrip Reports
 
Mount WallTrip Reports