Mountain Towns. Chamonix, France.

Mountain Towns. Chamonix, France.

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Scenery

Chamonix, Capitale Mondiale De L'alpinisme

Chamonix, France.Chamonix and its alpine background.
APR.06.2008.
Chamonix, France.Downtown Chamonix
Finally, I got to visit this beautiful french town located at the foot of Mont Blanc (4,808 m).

Chamonix lies at an altitude of 1,035 m and is a popular winter sports resort in France.

Mont Blanc holds a special allure for mountain climbers, and Jon Krakauer, in an essay in his collection Eiger Dreams, described the town as "the death-sport capital of the world" because Chamonix serves as an ideal playground for almost all types of outdoor activity, especially in their more extreme variants, such as ice climbing, rock climbing, extreme skiing, paragliding, rafting, canyoning.
Chamonix Sign.Chamonix Mont-Blanc France.
Chamonix, France.Narrow streets.


Chamonix is famous for its spectacular cable car up to the Aiguille du Midi (3842m). Constructed in 1955 it was then the highest cable car in the world. Together with a cable car system going up to the Point Helbronner (3462m) from Entréves in the Aosta Valley (Italy) it is possible to cross the entire Mont Blanc Massif by cable car.




In the summer months Chamonix is a mecca for alpine mountaineers, drawn to the area by challenges like the north face of the Dru, the Frendo Spur on the Aiguille du Midi, traversing the Alps on the legendary GR 5 footpath or more accessible challenges like summitting Mont Blanc (by a number of possible routes).

Comments

No comments posted yet.