Mweelrea Mountains

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 53.63726°N / 9.83023°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 12, 2011
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
That was a quick decision to make this one-day trip happen. Woke up into sunny day and made a call to my buddy Alan Hyland. As he lives in Murrisk and I in Castlebar, I suggested a meeting point at post office in Liscarney. While waiting for him to arrive I took a picture of Croagh Patrick.
Croagh PatrickCroagh Patrick from Liscarney


It was a short notice but he was 50 minutes late even his house is just half an hour away. Nevermind we cycled through Drummin valley a bit quiet. We got to Delphi village (about five houses), locked our bicycles, crossed fast flowing river and started to hike up eastern slopes of Mweelrea Mountains. Partially it was enjoyable crambling for us over exposed rocks. We reached Lunghmore East in about 30 minutes. We sat for a snack and a Cork man suddenly appeared in front of us and took this photo..

Mweelrea MountainsOn Lughmore East, Doo Lough beneath


Then we continued NW with spectacular view of 500 m drop off on our right side. There was a chance for jogging over Ben Bury and down to the saddle towards Mweelrea itself. Another man on the top of Mweelrea this time from Galway was very chatty. Finishing rest of our food supplies we could see almost setting sun over Atlantic Ocean with flat Inishbofin, hilly Inishturk and mountainous Clare Island and Achill at the distance. Southward there was Killary Harbour with 12 Bens(Pins) behind. What a viewpoint!

Summit of MweelreaSummit of Mweelrea with 12 Bens from center to right


We didn't want to go back over all that again so we descended east to the boggy valley towards Delphi resort. Because of difficult terrain we decided to walk down knee deep in the river bed, what Alan remembers as best craic of the day. Exhausted we reached civilization and myriads of biting midgets as our sweaty bodies were easy target for them. Alan was so wrecked! He cyled to Louisburgh and called for a lift. I got home in total darkness absolutly happy:)

Comments

No comments posted yet.