rockcentrics

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title rockcentrics
Manufacturer Wild Country
Page By willemeulen
Page Type Apr 8, 2005 / Apr 8, 2005
Object ID 1308
Hits 2564
Vote
Aptly named as a hybrid piece of protection somewhere between a Rock and a Hexentric, these units assume the benefits of both. The Hex angles allow for 4 separate types of placement within the same unit. The curve and taper of the Rock shape allows for easier placements and removal, plus greater contact in many previously questionable placements. Pre-slung on Dyneema webbing.

Reviews


Viewing: 1-5 of 5

Dan Dalton - Jan 30, 2007 7:05 pm - Voted 5/5

My favorite form...
of passive protection. I really like that they are attached to slings as opposed to wires, this help reduce the strain on the rope and reduce possible walking. The slings also make it nice to help clean your belt up while racking since you can double them over and they won't swing as much. Love the design since they sort of work like a tri-cam in many situation. Very reasonably price.

Dan

IceRavines - Mar 14, 2007 1:28 am - Voted 5/5

a standard tool for the rack..
Wild Country got it right curved camming surfaces on these chocks make it a great tool color coded slings and color coded anodized finnish on the chocks. I have used these and was quite pleased with their ability to cam and hold in place. I use them along with my Black Diamond chocks. Great tools !

SLCompulsion - Mar 21, 2007 10:53 am - Voted 3/5

too few placement options
My problem with them as compared to the BD Hexs is that there is only really ONE camming position. What might be thought of as the second position can only be used if the hex is an absolute perfect fix. Its hard to explain but the increasing radius is not great and because the point is rounded off it often never locks in. I have much better luck with the BD. I'd definitely recommend trying before buying. Wish I had. I thought the curving would be an advantage and really lock them in. It is in the one position but even there the fit needs to be much better than with a BD or it doesn't work at all.

Maybe I'm missing something.

rhyang - May 23, 2007 9:58 pm - Voted 4/5

Great hexes
I really like these hexes - they work well, they are light, and the dyneema sling is useful in the larger sizes.

However WC doesn't seem to make the equivalent of BD's #11 hex, should you need that size :-O

Brian C - Jun 20, 2010 2:20 pm - Voted 5/5

Much better than wired
The slung hexes work so much better than the wired BDs in my opinion. Easier to rack as well. The curved design is really slight and they cam well almost anywhere. I have also found that I place these sideways more than I thought and this also increases their range. These are a great lighweight way to double up larger cam sizes on your rack.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5