Super Guide Pant

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Super Guide Pant
Manufacturer Patagonia
Page By Steve Larson
Page Type Feb 11, 2005 / Feb 3, 2007
Object ID 1254
Hits 7810
Vote
Patagonia's Super Guide pants have been around since the early years of softshell clothing--testament to their enduring quality. The Guide pants now come in three variations: Simple Guide, Guide, and Super Guide.

Simple Guide Guide Super Guide
Clean front waist with adjustable drawcord Snap closure at waist Snap closure at waist
No suspenders No suspenders Three-point, removable suspenders with soft fabric loop attachments; Soft fabric belt loops
Two hand pockets with glued-in zippers, zippered back-hip pocket One thigh (glued-on), two hand pockets; all with glued-in, reverse-coil, Deluge® DWR zippers Two thigh (glued-on), two hand and one back-hip pockets; all with glued-in, reverse-coil, Deluge® DWR zippers
Zippered fly Two-way fly zipper Two-way fly zipper
Plain cuffs Bottom cuffs have 10" gusseted side zipers for pulling pants on over boots, with two snap positions for the protective zipper-covering flap; one for when the zipper and gusset are closed, the other when open, scuff guards Reverse-coil, Deluge® DWR zippered ankle cuff with gusset to open wide then zip-down securely over boots, with bottom snap closure; Scuff guard at inside ankle
Plain cuffs Cuffs have gripper elastic and loops for attaching an under-the-heel cord, to secure snug over boots Full-featured internal gaiters with gripper elastic have loops for attaching an under-the-heel cord
6.6-oz., 90 x (150 x 160) denier, 69% nylon, 24% polyester, 7% spandex doubleweave construction, with a Deluge® DWR finish 7-oz, 90 denier 60% nylon/29% polyester/11% spandex, with a Deluge® DWR finish 8.9-oz., 90 x (300 x 90) denier 47% nylon, 45% polyester, 8% spandex doubleweave construction, with a Deluge® DWR finish.
369 g. (13 oz.) 510 g (18 oz) 567 g. (20 oz.)
$125.00 $145.00 $165.00

Reviews


Viewing: 1-3 of 3

Steve Larson - Feb 11, 2005 1:10 am - Voted 4/5

Excellent pants
I've been using my Super Guides on almost every trip for the past three years, both summer and winter. So far they have proven to be almost everything Patagonia claims.

They do not restrict my motion in any way. They are breathable and yet reasonably resistant to wind and water. They are quite comfortable with or without a base layer underneath.

I have mixed feelings about the suspenders. I find that suspenders in general are a hassle, because they always seem to be in the way of layering/unlayering and heeding the call of nature. But for me pants tend to ride down below my pack belt, and the suspenders keep that from happening. Without a pack to push them down they stay in place just fine.

The front snap has been surprisingly reliable and easy to use. The two-way zip fly comes in handy when wearing a harness. Now, if they would just make these with a full through-the-crotch zip and a slightly higher waist I'd be one happy camper.

The zippered ankle cuffs are useful when putting on big boots, and the built-in gaiters work surprisingly well. On my last trip we wallowed through some pretty deep snow, and I relied the whole time on the built-in gaiters. Not a flake of snow found its way past them and into my boots. Impressive!

The biggest drawback? They are pricey. I got mine half price from an on-line clearance sale. Despite my enthusiasm for these pants, I can't help but think that there must be something out there that beats these in overall value.

Bill Kerr - Aug 13, 2008 8:52 pm - Voted 5/5

Guide Pant
Use the plain guide pant for the colder parts of the three seasons of the year. Great for snow and even light rain. Good in full on winter conditions down to about 0 F with underwear. Cuffs work well.
Use a simple guide pant for summer glacier travel and snow climbs.

Alan Arnette - Dec 14, 2008 5:31 pm - Voted 5/5

Solid Piece
Well crafted and designed. Stands up to almost anything.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3