Viewing: 1-6 of 6
lavaka

lavaka - Aug 29, 2006 7:22 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Well done!

Thanks Dug

ScottyS

ScottyS - Aug 30, 2006 12:47 am - Hasn't voted

Records?

Don't forget to note the Sierra-Sheepless-Supported-14'er Record catagory as well, heheh.

lavaka

lavaka - Aug 30, 2006 1:40 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Records?

Sheepless? I'm afraid I don't understand the reference.

By the way Scott, I read your trip report and was quite impressed by how you took the sleepingbag-less bivouac in stride and kept your good humor. I had a night like that in Colorado at 14,000+ and can't say that I was too cheerful afterward.

Misha

Misha - Sep 1, 2006 11:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Full Palisades Traverse

FYI - The full Palisades Traverse has been done in something like 22 hours by Michael Reardon last August. I am not aware of anybody repeating the feat, including Peter Croft. Personally, I'd be happy to do it in 2-3 days. Maybe next summer.

lavaka

lavaka - Sep 2, 2006 9:51 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Full Palisades Traverse

Thanks for the update; I didn't realize Reardon did alpine solos as well. I had assumed since Croft hadn't done it (he says not only has he not done it in a day, but never done it in a single push), that no one had done it.

lavaka

lavaka - Sep 2, 2014 12:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Trailheads

An edit to my own report: since initially posting this in 2006, I've climbed it twice more, both times starting at South Lake.

One of those times I did a car shuttle and left from Glacier Lodge (and we bivied near 3rd lake on the way out, since we were tired and didn't see much reason to continue on to the car just to sleep at the car).

Another time we continued on to the West side of Middle Pal, and the hiked out the the next day via the JMT. This was fun but super long, so I wouldn't recommend it in general.

I think the approach time via South Lake (as opposed to Glacier Lodge) is definitely a bit faster, but I'd recommend Glacier Lodge unless you want to do the car shuttle (which wasn't so fun). It adds a bit of time but it's fun, and you can day-trip it or camp at Sam Mack Meadows (or 2nd or 3rd lake) for the night before and/or after if you want to make a shorter climbing day.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'Palisade Traverse' main page