Parowan Gap Petroglyphs & Little Salt Lake

Parowan Gap Petroglyphs & Little Salt Lake

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Scenery

Overview

Parowan Gap refers to an opening in a line of hills to the west of the town of Parowan, Utah. Many Native American petroglyphs can be found on the rocks near the gap. The meaning of these petroglyphs is not known but some are thought to refer to the location of sunset relative to the gap creating some type of a calendar.

Read more about Parowan gap:

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/prog/more/cultural/archaeology/places_to_visit/parowan_gap_rock_art.html

http://www.parowangap.org/

http://www.parowan.org/index.php/heritage/parowangap.html


Parowan Gap PetroglyphThe V-shaped image is thought to be a calendar




Little Salt Lake sits to the east of Parowan Gap. Aerial photographs show that the lake is mostly dry. With much enthusiasm, I had planned to hike the dry lake bed. Unfortunately, barbed wire and private property signs prevented me from doing my hiking. All I could do was to take a couple of pictures from the road at the southern edge of the lake.


Little Salt LakeLittle Salt Lake





Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2

samira - Mar 15, 2014 1:05 am - Hasn't voted

Hi(salam)

Hi. Thanks. in the last pic, I can see a summit. Where is it?

nader

nader - Mar 15, 2014 5:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Hi(salam)

Hi,

That is prbably the 9018 ft (2748 m) Cottonwood Mountain in western Utah. It is an obscure peak and I have not found any information about climbing it. I had thought of climbing it but I did not want to run into private property signs or other obsticles. When I retire, if I am still healthy, I would love to go climb such obscure peaks but now that I work, I have to take one week off to go on a trip and I want to be able to reach my goals for the days that I go climbing/hiking.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2