Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Nov 29, 2012 2:14 pm - Voted 10/10

So sorry...

to hear the news of Patrick Edlinger's passing. I watched him win the first international climbing competition in the US. He methodically and gracefully pulled through all of the difficult moves where everyone had fallen off and reached the top of the wall. A trad climber that I had been for many years, I decided to give sport climbing a chance. My interest lasted for at least fifteen years.
Rest in peace Patrick, and thank you for all your contributions to the sport of climbing.

ericvola

ericvola - Nov 29, 2012 2:56 pm - Hasn't voted

So sorry

A little anecdote about Patrick to share. The first time he met Patrick Berhault who became his best pal and climbing partner, he told him that he had heard that he could do a pull up on one finger which Berhault immediately demonstrated. Patrick worked hard and then one day (not so long after) demonstrated to his new pal that he could do a pull up on his little finger! The way they trained was absolutely amazing in those days. One thousand press-ups were quite usual for them. Of course he was not the only one, but what 'grace' !

markhallam

markhallam - Dec 1, 2012 5:05 pm - Voted 10/10

Also sorry to hear of this..

... what a tragedy to lose his life in an accident at home!
bw
Mark

ericvola

ericvola - Dec 4, 2012 10:24 am - Hasn't voted

Also sorry...

Hi Mark, since, I have added Catherine Destivelle's tribute to Patrick. She wrote it for the crematorium ceremony which occured in Manosque (near the Verdon, home of Patrick), but she was not asked to read it. Patrick's young 10 years old daughter was still too much under shock and could not bear another speech (there were two before, one from Patrick's father and one from a close friend). She showed her tribute to me while I drove her down to Marseille to catch a train. A beautiful and straightforward tribute from Patrick's feminine alter ego.
Best

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Patrick Edlinger' main page