Peñas Bolivia

Page Type Page Type: Logistical Center
Location Lat/Lon: 16.25711°S / 68.5071°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Trad Climbing, Sport Climbing, Scrambling
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Located at 4000 meters above sea level and a 2 hour-drive away from La Paz  (which is home to the government but is not the capital city), Peñas is a charming small village. There live a hundred Aymara peasants families who devote themselves to potatoes growing and breeding of several skinny cows and tons of haughty lamas. Titicaca Lake is not far and this helps to mitigate brutal Altiplano variations in temperature.

People were already living in Peñas 2500 years ago, as witnessed by the Chiripa cave paintings and pre-Columbian trails spotted around in the hills. Under the Spanish colonisation, a baroque mud bricks church was built. The village was a relay station. Messengers used to change there their horse on the way between La Paz and fabulous Illampu gold mines. In 1781 indigenous war chief Tupak Katari led an uprising. He failed and was torn into pieces on the village square. Bolivia obtained independance in 1825 but feodal system lasted until the 1952 agrarian reform.

Currently Peñas is struck by a severe drift from the land as it is quite common in traditional Andean areas. Adventure tourism is a viable alternative to re-activate local economy, enabling local young people an interesting and rewarding job in their own place. Supported by a bolivian university, the boarding tourism university was established in 2017. It gives 23 students (more than half of them are ladies) a quality training.

Peñas holds a strategic position, close to Royal Range, Titicaca Lake and La Paz, for climbers and trekkers wishing to get acclimatized to high altitude. More than 150 climbing routes were established on nearby sandstone cliff. Several walks have been marked by local students as well as a mountain-bike route. Inhabitants organized themselves into an association and are able to rent rooms to the tourist. Bolivian cuisine mixes up spanish and local traditions and ingredients and is always original, surprising and nutritious.

Tips

Peñas is located 45 minutes away from El Alto city. The road is paved.

From La Paz : Buses and minivans leave from Villa Esperanza Terminal, 5 blocks away from YATIÑA UTA (Upea) Blue Cable Car station. Cars leave when they are full, usually every half hour between 5am and 6pm. Ticket 7bs.

From Copacabana : Take a bus heading to La Paz and get down at “CRUCE PEÑAS” crossroad. Until 6pm you should be able to find a taxi to the village (20bs), or wait for any other kind of transportation. 

The local villagers ask climbers to pay a ticket (5bs) to access the climbing routes. The collected money is re-invested in local community projects. 

There are some basic groceries stores around the main square (“Plaza”) and the so-called “Segunda Plaza”. On Saturdays there is a market on the main square where fresh products can be found until Noon.

Quite often, a small restaurant opens its door along the main road, selling lunch until 2pm. On Saturdays, meals can be bought at the market. Local cooks can carry delivery meals close to the climbing areas (arrange this service in advance). Only local cuisine. 

There is a small hostel with hot showers in the village. Homestay with local families can be organized (arrange this service in advance). 

Climbing gear can be rented at local university Unidad Académica Campesina, located near the main square..

To climb and safely enjoy the place it is advisable to hire a qualified climbing guide. 

To discover more about history and traditions of the area you can take a 3-hour hike on “Huellas Andinas” trail, which connects the village with Qillqantiji cave paintings (Chiripa culture, 1500 BC) and Carmenpata colonial church ruins. 

Further Information : 00591 74865925 lacordilleraexperience@gmail.com

Red Tape

The local villagers ask climbers to pay a ticket (5bs) to access the climbing routes. The collected money is re-invested in local community projects. 

Lodging

There is a small hostel in the village. Homestay with local families can be organized (arrange this service in advance). 

External Links

https://rockclimbinginpenas.wordpress.com/