Eddie Bauer First Ascent Line

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
mvaro2002

Eddie Bauer First Ascent Line

by mvaro2002 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:26 pm

Hi all,
I recently explored Eddie Bauer as a brand and purchased their BC downlight stormdown jacket as well as their cloud fleece jacket. I was positively impressed by these products that I also bought two Polo Shirts and their exercise "resolution" shirt. The main thought I have when putting on my products from EB is how nicely they feel wearing it being soft and comfy.

Now I wanted to ask here if anybody has experience with other products from their first ascent line.
I am interested in their hiking pants as well as their base layer with quarter zip but soon I will also need new hiking shoes.
I am sure the competition has some nice quality items as well but I just do not have the time to explore all the offers out there.

Tonka

Re: Eddie Bauer First Ascent Line

by Tonka » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:06 pm

I have one quarter zip fleece which is ok but I rarely use it in the mountains because I don't like quarter and half zips, they bug me putting on a taking off. Even the all famous Patagonia R1 gets left behind unless I really need the warmth. My problems with EB have been with their down leaking. I bought my girlfriend a down jacket, had to return it because of the down coming out and the second one had the same problem.

Norris

by Norris » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:04 am

I have several of their products and like them. The "Nail Driver" heavy duty softshell pant is excellent, comes in lengths, fits perfectly. I also have the Alchemist 40 liter waterproof pack.

jdzaharia

by jdzaharia » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:25 pm

I really like the Eddie Bauer First Ascent line. Probably the only "mall brand" that actually fits athletically-built people.

The Guide Pro pants are my go-to pants for most any outdoor activity. Excellent fit and useable pockets. I buy a 32Wx36L. Two things that would make them better: 7 belt loops instead of 5; and offer them in a 31-inch waist.

The fleece-lined Guide Pro pants are actually branded Travex, but are the same as the FA unlined version. Excellent. I'm wondering if they discontinued them.

The Downlight jacket gets stuffed in my pack and comes out at camp or whenever I stop moving. I've had very little problem with down leakage. Every once in a while I see a feather start to poke through, and I pull it back in from the other side. I have the older non-StormDown model.

The Karakoram bag has been used several times, but hasn't been tested to its limit, yet, but I've slept with it unzipped down to the upper 20s. I don't see why these bags aren't more popular. My 20-degree bag with a UL dry sack weighs 2lb-7oz. For the money, I can't find a lighter bag. And for the weight, anything comparable is double the price.

I really want to like the MicroTherm jacket, but to be honest, I haven't found a great use for it other than wearing around town. It is 3 oz lighter than the Downlight, but doesn't seem near as warm. My wife wears hers all the time. No down leakage problems.

I really like the fleece 1/4-zip pullovers I have. My wife has several, too. Most of the use they get is around town, but they fit well in the outdoors, too.

One of my favorite FA pieces has been discontinued for a while. It was a button-up shirt they called the High Route. I think they are re-using that name now on a fleece piece. But this was a plaid-patterned, long-sleeved, collared shirt. I have two in different colors and they are my go-to backpacking and hiking shirt. But, beyond backpacking, I wear it to work, church, the store, snowmobiling, horseback riding. Everywhere. I've worn and washed the snot out of these shirts and they still look like brand new. I really wish I could buy more of them.

Eddie Bauer probably doesn't want to hear this, but my rule is never pay full price there. They have sales too often to do so. Don't get out of bed for less than 30% off. Wait for a sale, coupon code, e mail offer, or your Eddie Bauer Friends Reward.

Return to Gear