SP Plans & Partners
Make plans. Find activities. Meet people.
  SEARCH PLANS | POST PLANS

Rainier, Gannett & Granite (WA, WY, MT)


Kifaru

Posted by Kifaru on May 6, 2011
Page Views: 473

Activity Details

Dates: Jun 1, 2011 through Aug 14, 2011
Location: Washington, United States
City or Place: Rainier, Mount
Skill Level: Advanced
Categories: Mountaineering
Partner Status: Want Partners

Description

I'm an Everest summiteer on a bit of a state highpointing binge. Would you care to join me as I attempt to reach the highest points in Washington (Rainier), Wyoming (Gannett), and Montana (Granite) this summer? I'm in the Phoenix area, and I anticipate an epic road trip in my Toyota Land Cruiser to climb all three of these mountains. I'm looking for 3-4 individuals to join in the fun and share expenses and driving responsibilities along the way. I could easily be talked into doing other things too. Technical canyoneering? Grand Canyon rim-to-rim? River rafting? Other state high points (including some I've probably already done)? It's all good. Imagine what we could see with just one national park pass! I'm flexible about the schedule. Any two (or at most three) week period in June, July, or early August would work for me. There's no perfect time to climb these mountains anyway, and the weather will dictate our schedule once we get there. I'm flexible about the number of people too. I suggested 3-4 individuals based on the optimum number for a rope team on Rainier and how many people can ride comfortably in my Toyota Land Cruiser. You'll need your own technical climbing gear, but I'll be happy to provide a comprehensive, annotated gear list to make sure we've all got everything we'll need to climb safely, both as individuals and as a team. I'll also be happy to give you a refresher course on the essentials of self-belay and self-arrest with an ice axe, crampon technique, glacier travel as part of a rope team, crevasse rescue, etc. I wouldn't mind teaching the basics to relative beginners, as sometimes that's easier than coping with people who have developed bad habits and think they already know it all, but ideally this won't be your first time at the alpine mountaineering rodeo. The best time to learn how to set up a Z-haul system to pull your best friend out of a crevasse is NOT after he or she has fallen into one. Women are more than welcome. Male or female, young or old, you just need to be able to carry your gear, which can be particularly hard core (or as my younger friends would say, "bad-ass") on a mountain with a long approach hike such as Gannett (50 miles round trip). This is your chance to do something epic with an Everest summiteer. Go for it!

(Update: From the responses I've received so far, it seems I need to be much more clear about the fact that the primary reason I'm throwing this out there is to recruit people who are willing to help me drive from Phoenix and split the cost of gas. If you're just looking for a climbing partner for Rainier, Gannett, or Granite, and you have no interest in joining me on my epic road trip adventure to and from Phoenix to climb these mountains, or you're not in a position to pay for your share of the gas, thanks for your interest, but I'm not your guy.)

Comments

Post a Comment

KifaruRe: Rainier

Kifaru

At this point I'm completely flexible on the timing.
Posted May 12, 2011 11:56 am

 
Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Sign in to post!

Don't have an account? Register now.







"Life is one...live it"

© 2006-2015 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.