Viewing: 1-6 of 6
myles

myles - Aug 24, 2009 5:19 pm - Voted 10/10

nice!

Really enjoyed your report. We're kinda slow movers ourselves, but have had a lot of fun in the Palisade Basin.

Glad the "high route" to T-bolt Pass worked out. Nice view of the Palisades from Knapsack, eh?

Myles

RickF

RickF - Aug 24, 2009 7:37 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: View from Knapsack

Myles, Going in through Thunderbolt Pass and leaving via Knapsack worked out very well. We spent a lot of time studying views of the west side of that section of the Palisades before heading up the chute. And back at camp we took some long gazes to forge our descent route into memory. But, on day 6, once we started our exit hike over Knapsack Pass I didn't look back too much. Now that you mention it, it would have been a great vantage point.

myles

myles - Aug 25, 2009 10:48 am - Voted 10/10

Re: View from Knapsack

For future reference!

http://www.summitpost.org/images/original/325904.jpg

RickF

RickF - Sep 4, 2009 8:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: View from Knapsack

Myles, that is a good perspective. From your picture I can see a lot more of the chute on the west side of the U-notch and even a glimpse of Polemonium that we couldn't see from our camp in Palisade Basin.

JedSMG

JedSMG - Aug 24, 2009 6:52 pm - Hasn't voted

Great Job!

Nice work making it happen with the big packs! I spend a bunch of time up in the Palisades, I'll look out for the sleeping bag for sure. How did you guys manage the gnarly chimney just north of North Pal? That always seems to be the crux of a south-north traverse in there. By way of reminder, it's a narrow but deep gap (like 3 feet across and 30 feet deep) into a deep, dark squeeze chimney. Often with knotted webbing hanging way in the back.

RickF

RickF - Aug 24, 2009 7:27 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: That Chimney

Jed, We encountered the gnarly chimney north of North Pal. We saw some slings left from previous traverse parties. We studied and pondered it for a while. Since we were going from South to North, we were able to downclimb in to the gap and traverse around it on the east side of the ridge.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'Polemonium, North Palisade & Starlight Peak' main page