Soldier Peak Attempt #1

Soldier Peak Attempt #1

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 40.77434°N / 115.27694°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: May 24, 2020
Activities Activities: Mixed
Seasons Season: Spring

Attempt #1 of Soldier Peak in the Ruby Mountains - Nevada

Toward the end of May 2020 I decided on a whim to do another solo camp and summit bid. This time Soldier Peak was the target. Getting to the back-country road leading toward the trailhead, Soldier Peak stood out in the evening light.

It certainly appeared more bold than the eastern neighbor that I'd visited a week or two prior, Secret Peak. 

 

I arrived close to the trailhead in the evening. 

 

 

I slept peacefully in my vehicle near the trailhead under a moon that had come and gone.

At approximately 6:00 a.m. I had a breakfast snack and began the hike. The first spectacle I encountered was a section of Soldier Creek that had frozen features like I hadn't seen in such a way before. The way that freezing rain forms around naked tree branches in the Carolinas came to mind.

The cold water rushed by in a frenzy.  

I decided on a place to begin the ascent that lead toward Soldier Peak. It was steep, but at least I got a good view of a pika on the way up. 

From here, scrambling became a necessity. I hadn't brought the crampons and ice axe, which was probably not the best idea since I was traversing a snow slope, but the snow was of the right firmness such that my boots dug in well and the trekking poles stabilized me plenty on the grade that wasn't ridiculously steep, though some areas were, as seen below.

Fortunately I could skirt around south of this more unforgiving area. After plenty of effort, the ridgeline appeared. Then came some great views of the Ruby Mountains. To the southwest the range continued. Toward the end of my line of sight was Ruby Dome, the range's famous high point.

To the east, on the other side of Secret Pass was the smaller East Humboldt Range, still a part of the Ruby Mountain Ranger District. 

To the south was a horizon of what appeared to be an ocear of blue waves.

From this point I could not proceed toward the summit due to massive amounts of snow that prevented safe travel. I'd come up the mountain a little too far to the south. I needed to head northeast alongside a higher portion, perhaps part of a summit ridge, that I could not climb onto safely. I could see the summit was covered with plenty of snow. I then decided to make an attempt another time.  

After returning to the creek, walking out, the sun was vibrant, bringing the springtime greenery to life in a magical way that perhaps you can only see in the mountains. 

Just before reaching the trailhead, the green of the mountainside west of me stood out boldly. 



Comments

No comments posted yet.