Viewing: 1-17 of 17
Sierra Ledge Rat

Sierra Ledge Rat - Oct 19, 2016 7:10 pm - Voted 10/10

ROCK ON BRO!

Great accomplishment

wallspeck

wallspeck - Oct 21, 2016 9:25 pm - Hasn't voted

Old Guys still out there

Really enjoyed reading this. I repeated that traverse when I was 55. Whew. The extra 10 years of age showed. Used a rope and would not have wanted to be solo for sure!
Thanks for posting this.
I really liked reading your perspectives on the "camping" on the ridge approach. Good job and congrats on getting out there and living the dream.
- Jack

Greenman

Greenman - Oct 22, 2016 8:19 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Old Guys still out there

Thanks for taking time to read and share your thoughts. Did you manage to go the ridge in one day at age 55? I'm wondering if I should try again next year with more training and an earlier start!

wallspeck

wallspeck - Oct 23, 2016 10:31 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Old Guys still out there

Ha ha. That made me laugh. Yes, I did it in a day, car to car, but I was thinking while reading your report how YOUR approach was so much better! I'm just a little envious of you getting to camp on the traverse, thinking I should go back and repeat it with camping gear. I think that's super cool.
I left South Lake with a buddy about 5 am... reached the parking lot down the road from Glacier Lodge about 10:30 pm. We carried 100' of 8.5 mm climbing rope, 7 or 8 carabiners, some stoppers and a couple cams.
But if I do it again, which I probably will, I'm gonna do it YOUR way.

Greenman

Greenman - Oct 24, 2016 9:32 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Old Guys still out there

I'm in awe of you ridge runners. Congrats on being a solid athlete in your mid-50s!

Woodie Hopper

Woodie Hopper - Oct 23, 2016 11:48 am - Hasn't voted

Bravo!

Well done- I thoroughly enjoyed reading your TR.

Woodie

Greenman

Greenman - Oct 23, 2016 9:43 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Bravo!

Coming from a climber of Aconcagua (6,962 m/22,835 ft), Argentina, it means a lot! Bravo right back to you, bro'!

Greenman

Greenman - Oct 27, 2016 1:50 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Thank you

Thank you for giving it a read. Let's keep putting trips on the calendar!

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Oct 29, 2016 5:00 pm - Voted 10/10

Crazy Old Men

I thoroughly enjoyed your report; it brought back such memories. Two buddies and I did it in one push in Aug. '08. I was 61 years old. We went from South Lake to Glacier Lodge. My buddies made it just in 24 hours and it took me 25 hours. In short, the traverse in a day for someone in his sixties is still possible. I did skip Sill, but led the Milk Bottle. I must say, to do it in one push requires comfort in soloing low 5th class. So we only used our rope for the two summit blocks and the rappels. The hike out was horrendous though. We made it to Sam Mack Meadow just as it got dark and then stumbled our way to Glacier Lodge. Your bivy plan makes a lot of sense--you were able to enjoy the the route more than we did! [Our TR is under SP user "bechtt" called "Our Palisades Traverse."]

Again, great TR.

Greenman

Greenman - Oct 30, 2016 1:36 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Crazy Old Men

I'm in awe of you guys daytrippin' this, congrats on your fitness at 61!!! I just enjoyed reading your TR. Grandeur and a little suffering! We suffered a little, too, but mostly we were able to savor the beauty. Thanks for reading and sharing!

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Nov 2, 2016 12:44 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Crazy Old Men

We all keep on truckin'.

Best,

Augie

bajaandy

bajaandy - Nov 5, 2016 11:26 am - Voted 10/10

Excellent!

Inspirational! I will be 53 when next summer rolls around.
Started climbing the Cali 14ners in 1986 with my first summit of North Pal. Many years later I find myself going for the new world record of MOST time taken to climb all 15! And wouldn't you know it, 4 of the last 5 I need to summit are T-Bolt, Starlight, Polemonium and Sill.
Mix into this a torn Achilles tendon surgery in 2009, with post recovery summits of Split, Williamson, Tyndall and Middle Pal.
And now I'm currently recovering from another surgical repair, this time of a ruptured Patellar tendon torn in a freak fall.
And so the timing of reading your TR is perfect. My recovery goal for this summer was to summit Sill, and possibly make the traverse to Polemonium. You have given me the inspiration to think beyond those goals!
Congratulations on the completion of an awesome climb! Thanks for the great TR!

Greenman

Greenman - Nov 6, 2016 8:07 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Excellent!

Hi Baja Andy,
I enjoyed reading about your ascent in Baja. I didn't know that even down there. Cool adventures! I was worried about my knees on this trip, but they held up! I hope yours do too!
Thanks for your feedback!

Ron

hansw

hansw - Nov 7, 2016 4:57 am - Voted 10/10

Good read!

I read to the end which means it is a very good TR! What was the total height gained?
Thanks for posting,
/Hans

Greenman

Greenman - Nov 8, 2016 8:32 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good read!

Thanks for reading even though it reads like a bad route guide. The route itself is truly fine! I wish I knew what our total gain was with ups and downs but I didn't carry a device to measure that. I can only say that starting point was 9,800ft, and the high point was 14,250' apprx. Happy climbing!

JD - Nov 9, 2016 8:53 pm - Hasn't voted

Good Stuff

I did the same thing as you; I actually spent two nights on the crest in addition to one below.

It's in vogue to do routes fast and I get that. But bivying up there was really cool. I've climbed the Regular Route on Half Dome in a day and also as a multi-day ascent and while both trips were really fun it's the multi-day that I value the most. I barely remember the one day trip!

I suppose as one increases their abilities they can simply do longer or harder things to get that multi-day experience. But I wonder if it's really better or just harder.

I think there is something to be said about being a lightweight gumbie.

Greenman

Greenman - Nov 11, 2016 10:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good Stuff

Hi JD,
Thanks for your thoughts. I guess the satisfaction from climbing comes from more than one source. There is the accomplishment of doing something really hard and dangerous, and also there is the appreciation of the mountain beauty from the rare vantage point where it is not always possible to linger. I enjoyed those two days on the ridge!

Viewing: 1-17 of 17
Return to 'Thunderbolt to Sill Traverse 2016' main page