Wind Mountain

Wind Mountain

Matt McCullough
on May 17, 2022 11:48 am
Image ID: 1069729

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Matt McCullough

Matt McCullough - May 19, 2022 12:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Information to potential climbers: Beware of angry residents and ranchers that make it clear they do not want you anywhere in the area. Please see below:

I arrived in the evening on the northeast side of the mountain (on BLM land) and parked beside the county road (F019) within a clearly defined parking area. My plan was to photograph the mountain in the morning and then attempt to climb to the summit choosing a path up one of the canyons. I had some time so I decided to scout the area for some evening photography as well as download some more maps (particularly detailed BLM and land surface rights maps). Unfortunately, the only cell service to be found (barely two bars) was at the top of a hill on county road F017 which was about a half-mile from a residence. I sat there a few minutes and was trying to download a map when an angry resident (or rancher) pulled up beside me on his ATV with lights flashing, brandishing a rifle, and shouting expletives. I had casually rolled down my window thinking that my explanation would quickly appease the matter and that he would be more friendly about the whole situation. It didn't. Instead, he went on to berate me and say that I had no business in the area and that no one trusts anyone out there and that I would continue to be harassed by his relatives down the road (toward Wind Mountain) and others if I didn't leave. As a matter of really needing a good night's sleep and not having to worry about my car being broken into or vandalized while I climbed the next day, I decided to politely oblige him and perhaps try again another time. I was thinking that I should have better knowledge of the land rights issues and actual boundaries of BLM and state lands in the area. As it turns out, I had every right to proceed on the county roads to Wind Mountain and park exactly where I had planned to and climb the mountain exactly where I wanted. So in short, I'm a bit disappointed in myself that I had given in to this bully, who simply didn't like "city" folks coming to hike in the area. He pretended that no one does that and that the only people who are ever out there are illegal and running drugs. I plan to go back and climb this beautiful mountain. If there are any further incidents, please comment. I also know where the person lives (beside County Road F017)) and will document and report to authorities if needed. Those accessing BLM lands via county roads should not be harassed.

McCannster

McCannster - May 20, 2022 3:23 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Information to potential climbers: Beware of angry residents and ranchers that make it clear they do not want you anywhere in the area. Please see below:

Please report this to the local authorities if you haven't already done so. That is straight up illegal harassment, intimidation, and threat, and in totally uncalled for when parked on a fucking county road. Fuck that guy.

Matt McCullough

Matt McCullough - May 20, 2022 3:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Information to potential climbers: Beware of angry residents and ranchers that make it clear they do not want you anywhere in the area. Please see below:

I reported the incident to the BLM office in New Mexico. Unfortunately, the “local” authorities are a bit vague for the area. Dell City, the closest town is 15 miles away and is in Texas, not New Mexico, so I’m not sure what jurisdiction they would have. In retrospect, I think I could have ignored the incident and simply kept to my plan without too much worry. But I will stay tuned if there are any other reports. I am actually bit concerned for the fellow as well. With his attitude, riding up with a rifle and belligerent and all, someone with another disposition could decide to confront him differently with a worse ending.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3