Winter 8000m Comments

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Afzal

Afzal - Feb 28, 2008 2:27 pm - Voted 10/10

K-2 Photo.

Thank you for adding my photo of k2 to your winter 8000m article. http://www.summitpost.org/image/290453/Afzal.html
Regards, Afzal

Isaiah

Isaiah - Mar 25, 2008 9:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Sweet!!

This is what we need...dreams!! Somewhere along the way so many kids with big dreams give up and quit and that's so lame. I mean there is definately a point where the risk is not worth the objective but this can be done. We can push the limits. We have better gear, better weather forcasts, history to teach us what not to do. Stay active!

noahs213

noahs213 - Mar 26, 2008 1:39 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Sweet!!

Yes technology is increasing. Thats why we are attempting something very insane and hard that has never been done before. We dont want the crowds on Everest. We want just us and the mountain in a even more extreme enviroment. Our dreams are just getting stronger and more passionate everyday. Thanks for taking your time to read our article and commenting it.

climbing1

climbing1 - Mar 26, 2008 4:03 am - Hasn't voted

Great Dreams!!

I agree as stated above dreams are a fleeting notion in our youth. Seek out other experienced high altitude mountaineers like Ed Viesturs for advice. Remember, advice comes in many forms. What you are planning is not just mountaineering, you will have to also train your mind to be aware and make sound judgements at all times. The mountain will be there for a second attempt if conditions warrant it. Keep SP posted on your progress and the best on your adventure.

JackCarr

JackCarr - Jul 15, 2008 12:25 pm - Hasn't voted

Dreams

I once read an article that said taking into account the objective dangers such as rock/ice fall, avalanche, crevasses, altitude, weather, human/equipment error, and so on, and the fact that you’re likely to have to try each mountain more than once, someone who attempts to climb all 14 8000ers would have roughly a 0.1% chance of completing them all and surviving. I imagine this would be considerably less in winter and sans oxygen.
Maybe you should check out lists of people that have died chasing a similar dream, rather than concentrating on the vastly smaller list of people that have completed it.

That said, its probably the one underlying dream of almost every single person who loves the mountains to climb all 14, no matter what level of climber they are, and no matter whether they’ve just seen photos of the mountains or climbed on them, so keep the dream alive.

noahs213

noahs213 - Jul 22, 2008 2:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Dreams

We do realize how many people have died trying this and that is in the summer. At least I do. I know the risk were taking. Let alone the winter there have been so many deaths on Everest and on other mountains its not even tried. It is possible tho. and we know that. Its going to include obstacles and life/death situations. We can only do one thing and that is as Ed says not be a risk taker but CONTROL it. Thanks everyone for the encouragement. It is greatly apperciated.

RyanHalsey1

RyanHalsey1 - Jul 16, 2008 3:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Thanks

Thanks you all for your support. We are pumped about this and support really helps.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Winter 8000m' main page