Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Vid Pogachnik

Vid Pogachnik - Oct 30, 2014 3:47 am - Voted 10/10

Interesting list!

Hi Falk!

Thanks for adding this list! In my head, I'm still having a poor orientation about Apennine mountains. Is there an official classification of groups? Or one, which is commonly used by mountaineers? On one of his pages Gangolf is mentioning 3 big chains (northern, central and southern) - according to Wikipedia, you are mentioning 16 ranges.

Ciao!
Vid

Falk

Falk - Oct 30, 2014 12:49 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Interesting list!

Hi Vid, indeed, the classification of the ranges and sub-ranges of the Apennine mountains is quite a mess. Like many things in Italy. ;)

I can confirm that the Apennine is generally divided into three main regions, as pointed out by Gangolf. However, there are clearly defined sub-ranges (like the Gran Sasso, La Maiella etc.). For instance, some sources speak from up to 16 (!) sub-ranges of the Marsicani mountains alone. Also the wikipedia articles are often inaccurate. One mentions a total of only 21 peaks exceeding 2,000 meters.

Further there are some misleading generalizations and a massif is equated with the area of a (vaster or smaller) national park.

Actually, it is rather a science. I've been hiking and climbing around quite a bit and still trying to sort things out. This list is only a first attempt on establishing an order. It will surely be modified and updated. The Club 2,000m is collaborating with the National Geographic Society of Italy and also updating its list regularly according to their measurements. Most of the available maps for some areas originate from the 50s and 60s and had been drawn up for military purpose. Strange enough, these old maps are still the most reliable ones, especially when it comes to tracing old and often forgotten trails.

The 16 ranges I mentioned are meant for distinguishing between different mountain chains, sometimes in one range (f.e. Velino and Sirente form one single range but are clearly divided by a vast lowland). I will have to point this out in the 'preface' of the list.

Ciao!

Falk

Vid Pogachnik

Vid Pogachnik - Oct 30, 2014 3:25 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Interesting list!

Thanks, Falk, for this thorough explanation! So, go ahead, and keep trying to help us, strangers, understand :)

By the way, I liked your comment in the first sentence about the mess - I know another country, neighbouring to Italy, which is even more messy. But I like it, as you like Italy :)

Looking forward to read more from you!

Cheers,
Vid

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to '2,000 meter peaks of the Apennine Mountains' main page