Viewing: 1-16 of 16
MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Aug 6, 2011 10:37 am - Voted 10/10

good on ya

It's happened to a lot of us.

LVLori - Aug 8, 2011 9:38 am - Hasn't voted

Excellent TR

It's just perfect! What a great TR and fantastic solo adventure! Amazing and the photos you got are stunning. That takes some true grit.

Vicles

Vicles - Aug 8, 2011 9:37 pm - Hasn't voted

wha?

hmmm....comments deleted?

robot one

robot one - Aug 10, 2011 11:33 pm - Voted 10/10

Strange thing...

that this was on the front page for only a couple of days. What an awesome adventure; what a great outdoorswoman. I tip my hat to you.

greg - Nov 6, 2011 10:44 am - Hasn't voted

Awesome expedition and report!

I've hiked 2 miles up Craig to the dry fall at the head of the narrows. I'm fascinated to see what's above that, so thanks so much for your report! Hey I think saw your summit post on Smith Mtn, dated March 11. I hiked up in May from Badwater Rd like you. Was shocked to see that someone else had done that gnarly climb!

Steve Pratt

Steve Pratt - Oct 1, 2012 3:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Epic!

I assume that was a non-quota trail.

beveridgeflyer - Nov 29, 2012 1:40 pm - Hasn't voted

SLO Inyo Hiker

Daria, we are part of a group of SLO Hikers that regularly traverse the Inyos - please contact me at TimWaag@Gmail.com or cell 805-440-9144. Hope to talk to you soon.
--Tim

sddarkman619

sddarkman619 - Aug 14, 2016 2:02 am - Hasn't voted

Re: SLO Inyo Hiker

yeah I'd like to talk to her too! :)

donS - Jan 7, 2013 2:02 pm - Hasn't voted

hmmm

"The Inyos are an explorers dream, a private playground--a world full of illusions and secrecy...from tools to hidden cabins and ancient steam engines"

They wont remain this way for long when their secrecy is revealed via the WWW. In the 17 years ive been frequenting that valley, ive seen artifacts disappear from secret cabins, historical sites vandalized, and delicate oases trampled. Perhaps some of this in inevitable...but i think we can at least slow down this process. Information about places like this ought to be shared with trusted friends via word of mouth, not publicly available to any google-using vandal. Such people are usually few and far between, but get the internet involved, and suddenly the odds of them finding your secret places will skyrocket.

and dont get me started on the ill concieved seasonal timing of the hike, the potentially lifesaving dumb luck of finding a water source high up in an usually dry canyon, or the poorly planning and communication with your rescue-calling friend back home....

sddarkman619

sddarkman619 - Aug 14, 2016 2:06 am - Hasn't voted

Re: hmmm

well said DonS

boyblue

boyblue - Jul 8, 2013 7:41 pm - Voted 10/10

Impressive!

A great adventure well written and beautifully photographed. A very enjoyable read.
-Gordon

beveridgeflyer - Nov 26, 2013 11:48 am - Hasn't voted

SLO Inyo Hiker

Daria, we are part of a group of SLO Hikers that regularly traverse the Inyos - please contact me at TimWaag@Gmail.com or cell 805-440-9144. Hope to talk to you soon.
--Tim

beveridgeflyer - Nov 26, 2013 11:50 am - Hasn't voted

agree with donS

IMHO, postings like yours lead to more explorers, leads to more exploitations. Note that few Inyo hikers post on the internet - there has to be a reason. Wish you'd call me or email. --Tim 805-440-9144.

beveridgeflyer - Jun 13, 2016 5:55 pm - Hasn't voted

Still no response...

...tried to contact you to no avail. It's frustrating that people involve the SAR due to questionable planning and lack of familiarity with the objective. Having ascended and descended these routes many times, familiarity would have been your friend. For instance, the small spring at Daisy Canyon is well known by those who visit there - I have plenty of videos of cool clear water flowing from that spring.

Sorry you didn't take the chance to contact me to discuss in a PRIVATE forum, instead choosing this PUBLIC one (it's only been 2.5 years for you to respond! :-). Hoping your future trips may indicate a bit more respect for your surroundings, and the resources that the SAR's need to respond to actual accidents instead of your casual planning.

I'm sure this post will be deleted, but oh well - I tried.

sddarkman619

sddarkman619 - Aug 14, 2016 2:04 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Still no response...

well said Bev!

Hink - Nov 16, 2019 9:17 pm - Hasn't voted

Evocative Writing

You have a unique and evocative writing style that brings a novel dimension of feeling to the description of the places in which you wander. It would be great to see you use your writing skills to describe routes and adventures on the already-popular peaks that you climb (numerous, judging from your signed climber’s logs), as you would find a ready and appreciative audience.

Writing about the Inyos, however, will lead to impairment of fragile ecosystems in the Inyos and might be something that you will look back on with regret someday. You probably are not old enough to remember what other places that you love, such as canyons in southern Utah, were like “in the old days”, but you apparently do know how crowded those places are today. Inyo ecosystems, with such limited water, exist on a thin edge. Degradation and irreversible decline are never far away. And unlike canyons in National Parks, the Inyos have scant protections. The Inyos have survived for millennia, but will they survive the age of the internet? And who will protect them?

Ecosystems are not the only potential losers. How about you yourself? You have written about the importance and value of solitude. Yet many mountains and canyons have lost their wild character. You might find, as the decades progress and our wild places become tame, that you need those secret, still-wild places. Not everyone craves this, but from your writing, you clearly do, and you will again. But if you return to the Inyos and find them crowded, trampled, littered, then what will you do and who will you blame? If not for the sake of Inyo ecosystems and the wildlife that depends on them, then at least for your own sake, please consider removing this posting.

Viewing: 1-16 of 16
Return to 'A Love Affair with the Inyos: A Double Traverse' main page