Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Michael Hoyt

Michael Hoyt - Jul 22, 2007 8:15 pm - Voted 10/10

Pronunciation

Jay,

Although most people pronounce Absaroka (ab-SOR-kuh), I've done a bit of research and discovered the "correct" pronunciation is (ab-SOR-a-kuh). Not that it matters, but you impressed me as a details-type guy when we met, I thought you might be interested.

Mike

jimmyjay

jimmyjay - Aug 2, 2007 2:16 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Pronunciation

(yeah, i do like the etymology that comes with the mountains). I've seen it that way in print and there seem to be, actually, a few ways to pronounce it and a few corruptions (such as Absorkee). Historically, as per the Crow tribe, none are correct (given that linguists think the source word is closer to "apsa a looke"). In the 4 syllable pronunciation, the 3rd is diminished enough to be either unspoken, or barely spoken, as in many French words. Since the tribe had no written language, there is often no etymologically correct solution to words that went through corruptions beginning with the trapping era. Therefore, either could be considered correct, imo. Some in WY/MT even pronounce it phonetically.

Doublecabin

Doublecabin - Aug 5, 2009 3:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Pronunciation

Not sure about Montana but from what I know we say Ab soar kuh down here around Dubois and they say Ab sah roh kuh up around Cody.

Thanks for an awesome resource here!

jmines713

jmines713 - Oct 13, 2009 12:20 pm - Hasn't voted

Pronunciation

Up here in Montana (Bozeman) we generally say 'Ab-sor-kee'. If you say 'Ab-soar-kuh' or 'Ab-sor-a-ka', or however you wyoming guys say it, you may get funny looks from people. Our version comes from the town of Absarokee, southwest of Billings, which we pronounce the same way.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Absaroka Range' main page