Aonach Eagach Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Dan Bailey

Dan Bailey - Feb 10, 2004 10:40 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

The safest descent from the west end of the ridge is not easy to find, particularly in the dark, under deep snow, or in poor visibility. Don't whatever you do consider descending south into Glencoe, at whatever point along the ridge - you won't enjoy it. The path alongside Clachaig Gully is by no means the best way down, though it might be the most direct. It is dangerously loose, it's too close to the gully, and fatalities have occurred. If in doubt keep to the ridge crest for at least 1km west of Sgurr nam Fiannaidh, then bear NW towards the Pap of Glencoe before a path (of sorts) drops off westwards down to Glencoe Village.

SkinnyKin - Feb 12, 2004 10:47 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Go to website: http://www.sais.gov.uk to check Glencoe area.

desainme

desainme - Jan 17, 2006 12:12 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Latitude: 56.681

Longitude: -5.002 (negative number)

IainT - Jun 12, 2023 5:16 am - Hasn't voted

Descent from the ridge

I second Dan Bailey's comment above, the path alongside Clachaig Gully is now even nastier 20 years on.. If you are ok with steep scree there is a quick but very steep and rough descent due south from the cairn on Sgorr nam Fiannaidh but this is now getting pretty eroded and nasty too, so much better to continue west on the main ridge for nearly a mile, then once beyond the cliffs bear left to pick up a newer path which links up with the Pap of Glencoe track to reach the road about a mile from Glencoe village.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Aonach Eagach' main page