Apache Peak (Whetstone Mtns) Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
mstender

mstender - Apr 1, 2018 3:40 pm Date Climbed: Mar 31, 2018

Road fixed!  Sucess!

We got a report that the road had recently been graded and decided to go for it. We made it within 1 mile of the end of the road in my stock 4wd SUV; it got pretty rocky at the end and wasn't worth it. The first 10 miles were in great shape and after that it was high clearance with a couple of wash crossings that could get washed out during the next monsoon. The hike itself was surprisingly straight forward as we initially followed a use trail up the slopes of the canyon on to the ridge which we then took all the way to the top. We didn't have to drop into the canyon at all that way. The ridge itself had some brush down low but was not too bad overall.

forgues9999

forgues9999 - Nov 12, 2013 5:33 pm Date Climbed: Oct 27, 2013

Hiked the summit

behind Kartchner Cavern State Park. Great view of the range!

sbkelley

sbkelley - Jan 17, 2012 1:18 am Date Climbed: Jan 14, 2012

West Side  Sucess!

Knocked this one off in style on a good breezy day in January. Great views all around and a surprisingly smooth ascent with minimal brush, if you pick the right line.

Dartmouth Hiker

Dartmouth Hiker - Jan 15, 2012 12:24 pm Date Climbed: Jan 14, 2012

Brushy, but not as bad as expected  Sucess!

Went with Scott K. and Eric. From the end of the road, we took the trail into the steep canyon, then followed the surprisingly fun (and free of brush!) canyon toward Apache, staying left at an early major junction. Popped out on the R of the canyon, up to P6200 and the remaining logical route to the top. The lechuguilla and tiny prickers that got into my boots made this one a pain, but summit views were quite nice (from Picacho Pk to Mexico). Glad to have done it, but we probably won't be back.

surgent

surgent - Dec 3, 2011 3:45 pm Date Climbed: Nov 19, 2011

One of three Scotts  Sucess!

Long drive, long hike, some drainages, cliffs, lotsa brush, slower than we figured, but we got it. Glad to finally succeed on this biggie.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Apache Peak (Whetstone Mtns)' main page