Bald Mountain (NV) Lyon County Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
fedak

fedak - Apr 13, 2015 10:22 am - Hasn't voted

Road Signage

The main turn off of 338 north of Sweetwater Summit is signed "Nye Canyon". This is FS 42031.

All of the junctions on the route to Bald are signed. There is only one turn- onto FS 22510.

FS 22510 goes all the way to within 1/2 mile of the summit (Do not be tempted to take FS 22511 once the peak is in view or to head directly to the peak)


A full 4wd should be able to go the full length of FS 22510. A higher clearance 2wd (or AWD) will probably want to stop at some point after turning off onto FS 22510. The road hike is relatively easy so no need to get aggressive with the driving portion.

Andrew hamilton - Dec 24, 2018 9:11 pm - Hasn't voted

FS22511

We did this trip yesterday and had a great time. We had a 4wd vehicle with significant ground clearance, and, because we aren't good readers turned right at the "y" onto FS22511. It was a pretty rough trail up to the end of the road but we had a good adventure and camped a couple miles in. This morning we hiked up to the top through shin deep snow and had a great view. It was sub freezing last night and I wouldn't consider any of the lower road suitable for 2wd, but we had a lot of snow and mud to deal with, it's probably fine in summer. Thanks to the previous posters, this was a perfect trip for us and a good try-out for the new rig.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Bald Mountain (NV) Lyon County' main page