Bellenden-Ker Range

Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 17.38333°S / 145.81670°E
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Additional Information Elevation: 5285 ft / 1611 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is a coastal range in northeastern Australia south of the city of Cairns. It contains the highest two peaks in the state of Queensland, Mount Bartle Frere (1,622 meters, 5,287 feet) and Mount Bellenden Ker (1,593 meters, 5,225 feet), plus Walshs Pyramid (922 meters, 3025 feet), a high free-standing natural pyramid.

The bulk of the range is a tropical rainforest with tall trees, but the high summits are covered with stunted trees and schrubs. It includes the wettest meteorological station in Australia with 12,461 mm (490 inches) of rain in 2000. The range includes scenic waterfalls such as Josephine Falls, Tchupala Falls, Wallicher Falls, Nandroya Falls, Silver Creek Falls, Whites Falls, and Clamshell Falls.

The range was designated a World Heritage site in 1988 and declared as Wooroonooran National Park (after the aboriginal name for the range) in 1992. It has a series of marked and maintained trails, mostly to the peaks, waterfalls, and a famous swimming area called Babinda Boulders. The range is home to extensive wildlife including several species of endangered reptiles and mammals.

Getting There

The range is an easy drive from Cairns (30 to 100 km). Highway A1 runs between the east side of the range and the coast and through the towns of Gordonvale, Babinda, and Innisfail. Josephine Falls and the main trailhead to Mount Bartle Frere are accessed by driving east from Babinda through the town of Bartle Frere. The Palmerston Highway (Route 25) crosses the southern end of the range between Innisfail and Ravenshoe. The west side of the range is accessible by smaller roads around Youngaburra.

Red Tape and Camping

Free optional hiking permits are available in boxes at the trailheads of the longer trails. Camping in campgrounds or in the backcountry requires a permit and a fee of $4.85 per person per night or $19.40 per family per night.

External Links

Josephine Falls 1
Josephine Falls 2
Bartle Frere trail
Palmerston
Babinda Boulders
Animal Species List
Endangered Species List
Camping Information


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.