Blood Mountain Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
unclehud

unclehud - Feb 19, 2005 10:03 am - Hasn't voted

About the Shelter

The Blood Mountain Shelter is a 2-room stone building with a wooden floor and fireplace. It was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930's and is on the National Register of Historic Places.



Personally, I was amazed when I stood at the front door and thought about the human effort necessary to build it! Woudn't have slept in it for any amount of money, though.



If you haven't seen this anywhere else ... THERE IS NO WATER ON BLOOD MOUNTAIN.

unclehud

unclehud - Feb 19, 2005 10:15 am - Hasn't voted

Camp where you're supposed to, please!

Because of tremendous use by AppTrail through hikers, camping is restricted to specifically designated sites on the west/south approach to Blood Mountain. The Georgia AT club has created about a dozen well-made, level tent sites and separated them enough to allow some privacy. These are discussed on several AT websites and in AT guides.


If you're really adventurous, there are a couple of secluded tent sites near the summit, but you have to carry up all your water!

BobSmith

BobSmith - Feb 11, 2008 7:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Camp where you're supposed to, please!

This used to be the most popular stretch of the AT in Georgia. Is this still the case?

unclehud

unclehud - Aug 5, 2008 11:23 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Camp where you're supposed to, please!

Probably. Lots of weekend dayhikers from Atlanta (and I am often one of them) hike up from Neels Gap.

Of course, AT thru hikers haven't really had a chance to bail out before Blood Mountain, so there's lots and lots of them every March and April.

Colbywade2 - May 8, 2013 9:13 pm - Hasn't voted

help

The sites, are they 1st come or do i need to connect someone about getting one?
Email Colbywade2@yahoo.com

BobSmith

BobSmith - May 8, 2013 9:30 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: help

Last time I checked you just pitched your tent at any designated site. Because it's such a popular stretch of the AT, the place gets overused. If the sites are all full (and I would recommend NOT using the summit shelter), then you might be able to find good campsites further south on the other side of the summit, or you could take one of the side trails to find a campsite.

This is what happens when a trail just becomes too popular.

unclehud

unclehud - Oct 6, 2021 1:09 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: help

All tent sites are first come, first served. This section of the AT is very heavily used, so work towards an early afternoon (4 pm) arrival if you want a spot.

Trail etiquette is to yield shelter space to through-hikers, but few day trippers and overnighters know this.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Blood Mountain' main page