Brocken Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Big Benn

Big Benn - Nov 2, 2005 3:48 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

http://www.hsb-wr.de/kamera/brocken-neu.htm is the view of the railway station just under the summit of the Brocken. Useful for checking out weather conditions.

Big Benn

Big Benn - Nov 2, 2005 4:04 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

http://www.hsb-wr.de/ gets to the HSB who operate the steam trains to Brocken, and elsewhere in the Harz. A ticket to Brocken is 16 Euros single and 24 Euros return. If you plan to use the HSB trains throughout the Harz, including a few trips to/from the Brocken to fit in with trying out different hiking routes, the multi days tickets are better value. 40 Euros for three days and 45 Euros for 5. Unlimited travel, including to/from the Brocken.

Big Benn

Big Benn - Nov 11, 2005 3:53 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Kv Plan map "Der Brocken", 1:25000 is an excellent map for those wanting to choose a hiking route to the Brocken. It is readily available in the area.



From that map it is clear there are almost countless starting points from virtually 360 degrees around the mountain. But these many paths join up to form just three that get close to the summit. The Neuer Goetheweg that heads from the west across Goethemoor, (by far the busiest route). The Eckerlochstieg that comes up from the South, (this is the one that can be joined at Schierke railway station). And the least used Hirtenstieg, (normally called the Ilsenburg trail), that comes in from the North. There is also the tarmac service road up from Schierke. The first two of the paths mentioned join the service road near to a level crossing with the railway, meaning that just two paths reach the summit. It is important when on these three main paths to stay on them, (see Red Tape).

Big Benn

Big Benn - Nov 11, 2005 4:00 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Large parts of the upper part of the Brocken were "untrodden" during it's Russian occupation. On the mountain becoming accessible again a very large area, the "Kern Zone" around the summit was declared a prohibited area left as an untouched wilderness, and walkers must not enter. This area is not that well marked, (there are a few signs), but starts on the Neuer Goetheweg where that joins the railway, at Eckerloch on the Eckerlochstieg and certainly once the 1000 m mark has been passed on the Ilsenburg trail. So it is vital to stay on these paths and not stray from them.

codelancer

codelancer - Oct 25, 2007 4:18 pm - Hasn't voted

First

Brocken was first climbed on 1697 by Russian young prince Peter, also known later as Tsar Peter I Great.
:)

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Brocken' main page