Canchal de la Ceja Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-9 of 9
Anpre

Anpre - Sep 10, 2018 3:35 am Date Climbed: Sep 9, 2018

Ruta bastante fácil - easy trekking activity  Sucess!

Desde la plataforma del travieso subimos hacia el Calvitero, después alcanzamos el Canchal de la Ceja y decidimos bajar por el corredero entre estas dos montañas hasta las Lagunas del Trampal, después subimos un pedregal que ascendía directo desde la primera laguna hasta la cima del Calvitero. Lo esperaba algo más exigente, siendo una ruta muy fácil en verano, unas 6 horas de marcha.
It's an easy route that can be done in about six hours (in summer time without snow).

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Jun 29, 2014 11:01 am Date Climbed: Jun 11, 2014

Second try  Sucess!

Tried to climb to Canchal de la Ceja via Lagunas del Trampal but clouds and strong winds deflected us to Cuerda del Calvitero instead. Three days later started from Plataforma del Travieso in perfect weather to cross Cuerda del Calvitero and La Ceja twice, heading to Torreon del Calvitero and back.

John Climber

John Climber - Dec 31, 2013 5:26 am Date Climbed: Dec 29, 2013

Winter ascend  Sucess!

Climbed with Pablo from Hoya Moros in traverse (together with El Torreón), in winter conditions (ice), but no wind and good weather. Few centimeters of snow on the highest part of the mountain, but actually too less for the time of the year.

chugach mtn boy

chugach mtn boy - Dec 31, 2007 6:01 pm Date Climbed: Apr 1, 1980

From Candelario  Sucess!

With friendly encouragement from the local hiking club, my brother and I made our way up over snow in pleasant spring weather. The next day the local hikers took us on a high-speed, high-spirited romp to Los Moros. Candelario is a great village.

eza

eza - Dec 4, 2007 9:16 am Date Climbed: Dec 2, 2007

Sunny weather  Sucess!

A beautiful sunny day, with plenty of snow and ice up there. We completed the climb starting at the Plataforma del Travieso and kept going to the nearby summit of El Torreón (2400 m), highest of the province of Cáceres.

Rafa Bartolome

Rafa Bartolome - Dec 3, 2007 3:35 pm Date Climbed: Dec 2, 2007

Normal route  Sucess!

We climbed from Plataforma del Travieso. The north access to Calvitero presented a lot of hard snow and as well the Canchal de la Ceja, but the hardest part of the ridge was the ascent to Vértice de Calvitero or Torreón, a little dangerous with ice. Spectacular day with sun and snow in the highest summits of Salamanca and Cáceres.

Diego Sahagún

Diego Sahagún - Oct 11, 2004 1:35 pm

Route Climbed: From Plataforma del Travieso, Normal Date Climbed: 2nd October 2004  Sucess!

I drove with Nadie to Plataforma del Travieso (1.870 m). Previously we had stoped in Béjar (Salamanca) for buying some aspirines and "perronillas", the traditional pastries there. Once on Plataforma we noticed that we didn't carry enough liquids for such a warm day, and we thought that Fuente (drinking fountain) de la Goterita (on the trail) would be dry. So we drove back to the camping "5 Castaños", placed on the entry of Candelario, between Béjar and Plataforma del Travieso. We bought a bottle of water there, where the owners and other people thought that there was still snow on the mountains and said that there were many drinking foutains near the road to Plataforma. Later we'd find Fuente María some hundreds meters before Plataforma del Travieso but never we'd find snow in the whole range.



At 3:00 PM we started ascending 60 m before Plataforma. Crossed a bush field on the rocky trail, ascended a steep slope and traversed to the right, towards a big cairn at about 2.000 m. We continued ascending on the zig-zagging trail, past some big rocks, reached a wire fence and turned right to the big cairn that signpost the upper flat before the summit of Calvitero (2.401 m). Just until reaching that flat we found Fuente de la Goterita, wich had water but not a jet. All the meadows were dry and yellow, and once on the top (4:30 PM) we looked for a shadow where we could avoid that burning sun. Nadie had had lunch in the car while aproaching, so I started to eat my meal. She got cold and after 10 minutes resting she decided to desdend to the broad Col 2.324 m. I joined her until she had reached it. We past the col and ascended on the NW ridge of Canchal de la Ceja. At 5:35 PM we were on the top, took some photos and continued to the last peak of the summital ridge. We started the descent at 6:05 PM on the same trail of the ascent. On the surrounding of Calviero's summit we saw two trial motorcycles, the shepherd's shack of the N face and the ancient ski lifts near it. The temperature had lowed to 11ºC and the sun was setting but we managed to reach the car (8:30 PM) until there wasn't enough light for walking. Though we didn't se many animals (only some birds, crickets and wall lizards) we had nice views of Sierra de Barco on Canchal de la Ceja and Embalse de Diego y Galán on Calvitero.

Diego Sahagún

Diego Sahagún - Feb 5, 2003 3:11 pm

Route Climbed: Between Vaguadas del Hornillo and Manzanar passing Calvitero Date Climbed: 2 April 1993

I climbed alone starting from a camp where we had spent the night, not far from the last sharp left curve of the road to Plataforma del Travieso. It was a nice and sunny day, I first hiked in a pinewood and then along a field of shrubs. Soon I fitted my crampons to ascend the last slope (NW) of Calvitero. Because of the confusion about the heights in this Sierra I only summited Calvitero. I thought that it was the highest mountain there but now I've noticed that it's Canchal de la Ceja. There were some hikers on the summit that came from Plataforma del Travieso. The descent was quick, following the same route of ascent.

Diego Sahagún

Diego Sahagún - Jan 28, 2003 5:20 am

Route Climbed: From Plataforma del Travieso passing Calvitero Date Climbed: 3 November 2002  Sucess!

At 2:10 pm I left alone Plataforma del Travieso and started ascending the endless slope of the NW face of Sierra del Calvitero. At 3:50 pm I was having lunch behind a rock placed near the summit of Calvitero (2.397 m). I saw no people during the ascent but I met 2 climbers when I was at the top. At 4:10 pm I started descending to the broad Col (2.324 m) that separates Canchal de la Ceja. I took some pics of Cuerda de la Ceja and Lagunas del Trampal. And soon ascended to the summit following the trail on the W face. I was on the top at 4:50 pm, took some self releasing photos and descend to the Col on the N slope. At 5:40 pm I was on Calvitero again and soon descended towards Plataforma doing a stop at Point 2.220 m for resting, doing a call and take some pics again. I reached the parking at 7:10 pm wearing my headlamp. There were nobody in it and it was a little cold with moderate winds. It was foggy and rainy during the morning so I was lucky with the weather when hiking.

Viewing: 1-9 of 9
Return to 'Canchal de la Ceja' main page